jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

If you can’t say something nice…

1. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 2 years ago

Please take the time to read the guidelines and follow them if you want to participate.  We need this, folks.

Some of us meet here nearly everyday, others drop by now and then.  More often than not anymore, I don’t participate beyond chiming in with a comment here or there.  It seems of late we’ve become a bit shorter, terser, and sometimes even vitriolic with one another.  For the most part we share a love of writing, creating, and a passion for our ideologies.  We have more in common than we often admit.  We’re a smart lot, as much as we may charge one another otherwise.  Could we at least have this one thread to try something new? 

I know this won’t work as intended unless we take it seriously and follow some guidelines.  What I would like is for us to only share sincerely held thoughts, positive stories, comments or observations about our fellow Hubbers.  I do not want this to devolve into a mutual admiration group hug society with one person struggling to come up with something nice to say about everyone in the hope it will be reciprocated.  In fact, if you are complimented, please don’t respond…right away.  Please don’t reciprocate immediately because even if sincere it will come across as solicited by the compliment you just received. 

Don’t be offended if your friends don’t sing your praises. It’s okay if they do, but I am much more interested in encouraging you to look at those you normally oppose to see if there is something that you know merits a positive affirmation or some recognition.  Your friends already know you love them.   

Don’t be disappointed if nobody responds to your post.  I want nice comments to just sit so folks can consider them.  If they do bring something positive to mind you want to add, or remind you of something you would like to say about someone else, please do. 

Please don’t try to force anything or post something you don't feel strongly for fear of leaving anyone out.  Don’t be offended if someone posts about everyone else and not you.  I really want this to flow with only the sincerest posts. 

No facetious clever pejoratives masquerading as compliments.  Positive and sincere only please.  If you can’t do that, please don’t contribute.  Just read along and perhaps you will think better of it later.  Go to any other thread and do as you will, but please respect my requests in this one.  We could all use a smile, some encouragement, a kind word.  Let’s act like a community for a bit.  Don’t worry, I’ll still spar and banter with you in other threads, just not this one.  Nothing has changed except I think we could use a platform dedicated to appreciating each other. 

I have not provided the first accolade by design, as I think it looks better not to tie this initially to anyone.  I would ask the person this strikes a chord with, who has something about someone come to mind right away and wants to embrace the opportunity, to start us off. 

Thanks for listening.

2. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 2 years ago

I'll start.

Jerami is the nicest person on the boards in my opinion. He never looses his temper or responds with snide remarks like a lot of us do. He's a breath of fresh air.

3. Sed-me profile image82
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

Thanks bB, how nice.

I would like to say that I've really enjoyed conversing with Julie. I have always wanted to have a positive relationship with her and feel blessed that I have been given that opportunity. She has been very hospitable and I appreciate it.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

This is a difficult task. Why?
    For one thing, compliments and praise are not the usual.  Maybe we are afraid to affect others' egos. We need to stimulate the mind, not the ego. We, as posters respond according to inner stimulus in the direction of our knowledge and convictions. I actually think everyone does very well here. We are honest. We are not honest. We are funny. We are serious. We are critical. We are accepting. We are humans… and that is the amazing thing.

However, we need to keep a sense of reality. That is the hard part because we are so darn human. Just remember, what one does not appreciate seeing, one does not have to read.

We can enjoy the freedom and creativity offered in the HP forums which is possible due to the enforcement of the HP boundaries. I believe meanness slips in sometimes due to the anonymous factor. It is a temptation. But even that is interesting to observe. There is usually a reason. The psychological issues might get too heavy… but that's us: human.

Back to the task at hand:
    Too much praise can become addicting. Let us work from within. Let it be that way. No one should work for praise. (The result is insincerity.)
    Encouragement, Yes.

So, I will answer your call, but in the spirit of encouragement, I nominate gmwilliams and her bravery in posting creative topics and inspiring insights even when she knows they are not politically correct. I become worried when she takes too long of a break and I do not see her CAPITAL LETTERS calling us all to consciousness.

Did I do it right, bBerean?

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You took me on a bit of a ride first, my dear, but in the end indeed you did.  Thank you and the others for getting us off to a good start!

5. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 2 years ago

It takes quite a lot to set aside your differences and open a dialogue about an issue you disagree on.  How much more then does it take to embark on a grand project such as comparing notes by chapter of the bible? 

In spite of having a colorful history, JMcFarland and Sed-me are doing just that.   Both have busy schedules, but are making time.   JMcFarland is even going as far as making Hubs about it so we can all share in the experience.

Thank you both for the example you are setting for us with your efforts.

1. Sed-me profile image82
      Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

"colorful history" lol