jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

"Oh, Canada . . . "

1. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Sad news about the shootings in Ottawa, Canada's Parliament. I never thought that Canada would become the next country dealing with terror shootings on this level. So sad that no country in the world is exempt from this type of violence. Sending prayers to the families and colleagues of the deceased soldiers from today's and yesterday's tragedies. Shout outs to my Canadian fellow hubbers.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image90
      CatherineGiordanoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've been glued to my computer writing, and I have not heard the news.  Now I have to go turn on the TV. This sounds just terrible.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image81
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I had thought that I read a while ago that Canada did not have guns Jan.

jansharesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's true, Kevin, which is why this is so shocking.

3. colorfulone profile image88
      colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I had not heard about this shooting, but than I do not listen to the news.

So, what happened?

Yesterday, an alleged Isis symathizer ran down two military soldiers with his car. One soldier died. Today, another alleged Isis sympathizer shot and killed a soldier on guard at the war memorial. He then ran two blocks and into the Parliament buiding and got into a gun fight with police. Both suspects in both incidents were killed by police. There may have been another gunmen but they are not sure.

1. colorfulone profile image88
          colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Terrorism is difficult to read or hear about.
          Canada is my bordering neighbor. 
          The whole world grieves with you.

2. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Very unsettling and heartbreaking. sad

3. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 2 years ago

This is so sad.  It seems that no one is safe anymore.

4. junecampbell profile image86
    junecampbellposted 2 years ago

Yesterday 2 soldiers in Quebec were run down on the street. One was killed.  Today, a shooter shot and killed a soldier who was guarding the War Memorial. The shooter then ran into the parliament building and fired off 30-50 shots before he was killed by security. Latest news is that the shooter had a police record and had been sent for a psych assessment at one point. It is thought that he was acting independently. Or possibly with an accomplice.

Thanks for the update and detail, June. Peace.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image81

He applied for a passport to go to Turkey. It was not rejected or revoked he was only waiting for it. He was on drugs and decided to shoot someone. The cops chased him into the Parliament bldg. and he is dead now.

5. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Did you hear about the attack on NYPD officers in Queens? A man attacked 4 officers today on the street with a hatchet. They shot him dead. Two officers were seriously injured. The suspect allegedly had ties to Muslim extremists. Let us all take seriously what is happening, be vigilant, and pray for peace.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I believe that stricter controls should be implemented regarding the ISIS situation.  We should demolish ISIS.   ISIS is dangerous and it has to be completely annihilated.  There will be no peace with ISIS and the only way to remedy the situation is demolish ISIS.  The purpose of ISIS is to destroy democracy and civilization as we know it.

1. rhamson profile image76
        rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Have you ever wondered how we may have contributed to the creation of ISIS? Are we harmless in actions over there from the beginning? War begets war and where does it stop? You are trifling an ideology that has been growing for well over seventy years.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image81

Jan,
      No, I only watch TV for about 1-2 hours with each meal. I read it when I look up something.

working