jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

The Tragedy of our Youth

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image89
    Jacqueline4390posted 24 months ago

Have our television shows and movies created glamour images of death and destruction so that our youth see them as exciting? Or have parents stop talking to their children and making their weapons available for totally immature audiences?

2. Kylyssa profile image94
    Kylyssaposted 24 months ago

Children have been exposed to these things for thirty to forty years and all during that time, the crime rate has dropped.

Is it perhaps that since communication is far better now that you are reading or seeing details to crimes that would never have made national news fifteen or more years ago?

I agree that actual violence is not good for children to be exposed to but children old enough to understand make-believe should be able to understand that movies and video games are make-believe.  Heck, I didn't even master suspension of disbelief until I was a young adult! 

Someone who is influenced to commit violence by media is already prone to commit violence.  If they weren't exposed to violent television or video games they'd find their violent inspiration elsewhere.  There's plenty to be found in the Bible and few would recommend we keep Bibles from today's youth so they don't copy all the Biblical violence.

Guns in the home are highly correlated to violence, so maybe the gun culture needs to change rather than the media?

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 24 months ago

If households can legally have real guns it would be very bizarre to not equally permit fiction including the use of guns.  I grew up reading and watching such things with no ill effect (I have never even touched a gun and could count on my fingers the times I have even seen a real one, but I do love a good western).

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image89
      Jacqueline4390posted 24 months ago in reply to this

I love a good western as well. Seems like the outlaws were robbing banks, not killing kids.