jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Campaign Reform

1. ocfireflies profile image79
    ocfirefliesposted 23 months ago

Every time there is an election year, I am blown away by how much money is raised.  I would like to propose the following:  For every dollar a campaign raises, that campaign must donate a dollar to paying off the National Debt.  There are probably lots of reasons why this would not work or is not a good idea, but it just makes me so sad to hear how much money is raised to put a candidate in a political office when there are children who live in poverty.

1. CuAllaidh profile image80
      CuAllaidhposted 23 months ago in reply to this

This is why I like Canada's Campaign spending rules, no party is allowed to spend the rediculous amounts that US parties can, and contributions are capped too so no one can "buy" a party.

ocfirefliesposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Sounds like Canada has a much better system.  Thanks for responding.

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Look at the roots. Citizens United was a catastrophe. A nail in the coffin of democracy. The idea that corporations should have speech rights is completely absurd, as is equating corporate personhood with natural personhood. In Justice Stevens' dissent he said "A democracy cannot function effectively when its constituent members believe laws are being bought and sold" and that the ruling "threatens to undermine the integrity of elected institutions across the Nation". Indeed. Now we have group decisions intended to be made for the benefit of the people, instead being made for the benefit of whoever has the largest wallet.

Stevens also said denying congress the power to prevent "the improper use of money to influence the result [of an election] is to deny to the nation in a vital particular the power of self protection". The doors have been opened wide to political corruption, which is one of the things the Republic was formed to fight against. We've now successfully come full circle, having replaced rule by an aristocracy with rule by an economic elite. How wonderful.

I guess I am just a dreamer.  I suppose I believe coming up with ideas is better than just feeling helpless.  Thanks for responding.

1. Don W profile image82
          Don Wposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Coming up with ideas is great as that at least acknowledges a problem. Understanding the problem is even better because that generates ideas that effectively deal with the problem, i.e. solutions. In my opinion, solutions mostly develop through that process of acknowledging and then understanding a problem. Discussing a problem is part of that process, including expressing how a problem makes us feel (those feelings might be part of the solution in some way) but please don't mistake feelings of frustration with feelings of helplessness (despair). They are two very different things.

2. Kylyssa profile image94
    Kylyssaposted 23 months ago

I agree that a ridiculous amount of money is spent on campaigning.  It's a vicious cycle, too.  Any political candidate who wants to win an election has to spend the money and so has no choice but to do it.

The thing that makes me not mind it as much as I might is that the money stays inside our economy.  All the ad money goes to people involved with creating ads, those who print the yard signs, the people involved in making television commercials, and so on.  Even all the goofy decorations, the venues, the catering and so on for the after parties put money into the economy. 

I hate the idea that politicians basically buy election wins but the fact that much of the money spent goes into the pockets of middle class people and lower class people makes the bitter pill a little easier to swallow.

Good points, but I wonder if people knew that the money donated would also go toward decreasing the national debt, more people would be more apt to get involved and feel like they had actually helped the country regardless of whether their particular candidate won the election.  Plus, with the astronomical money that is spent, those other folks who provide media and catering and printing, etc... should still get their parts as well.  Thanks for responding.

3. word55 profile image81
    word55posted 23 months ago

Hi Kim, you raise a goo point here and I agree with you. Some dollars should go toward reducing the national dept.

4. ocfireflies profile image79
    ocfirefliesposted 23 months ago

Hey word55,

Just makes more sense to me in that it could possibly change the dynamics of the way in which campaigns work.  Who knows?  Sometimes, people need something that is straightforward and has one purpose: to help everyone feel some empowerment.  Thanks for responding.