jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Do you believe that there is still a dichotomous double standard in

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 22 months ago

terms of race and gender pertaining to the work environment, job opportunities, educational opportunities, the justice system, and in the general sociocultural milieu?  Or do you believe that we Americans now live in a postracial and postgender society?  Yes? No?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 22 months ago in reply to this

"Or do you believe that we Americans now live in a postracial ... society?"

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/27342964 … ce-officer

The burning of Ferguson should answer that question quite nicely.  If it isn't enough, just surf the forums of HP for a while; racism is alive and strong.  And when the people in the street are racist, so will the jobs, education, justice, etc. be.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Of course, everyone who is of logical and realistic mind knows that racism exists, sometimes overt and many times covert.  That is evident; however, there are those who insist that they live in a postracial society where mostly everything is simply copacetic.   I simply started this thread to get the discussion going.   

As long as humankind exists in a tribal state of consciousness and have a tribal mindset, there will always be issues such as racism among other isms. Humankind love to invent barriers for which the main purpose is separation from each other.  Humankind also loves to establish a pecking order in which there is a superior and inferior caste.  It is an extension of the law of the jungle.  The stronger will subdue the weaker by any means necessary.

2. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 22 months ago

I think that in the minds of man ,{ small minds as they may be }!, women  are somehow subservient to them    And yet ,  in  some ones reality , there are those who know that a woman has certain abilities to propel herself far above the  sexually oriented  limitations of a  man !   The old  " I'm gonna marry me a rich man  and never have to work a day in my life " syndrome , mentality of some women .   I  personally think a woman can be whatever she wants , who ever she wants !

Race , racism lies in the eye's of the viewer !   We can all look at a situation and one of us will see racism and another will see the lack of it ,[the glass is half full , half empty ]  No one ever speaks of reverse -racism though ! That much I do know ! And is it there ? You bet you bippy it is ! Reverse racism is right in front of our eye's -  and spoken so little of .