jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

This president supports broken families -- illegal immigration .

1. ahorseback profile image53
    ahorsebackposted 22 months ago

Tell me why supporting and actually  promoting illegal immigration isn't  publically supporting the creating of broken  and  twisted families ?  Almost all illegals crossing the borders are doing so in crossing over  alone  , a father leaving his whole family behind going for the job , a mother leaving her kids behind  and what , sending home her paycheck ?! Families are separated for at least  years  or  even forever  And even a minor  child on their own  crossing over ? How can YOU defend illegal immigration  and the politics  and politicians thereof  when it is one of the most prolific inroads to the creation of the great American broken family ! 

Are you in favor of illegal immigration , are you in favor of breaking apart families?

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Hi ahorseback. It is an honor to share a thought or two with you tonight

To find the real answer to your question, speak to an immigrant. They believe leaving their loved ones is a price they are willing to pay to acquire freedom and a future. Were I suffering under the same economic hardships, I would likely make the same decision. Everyday, I am thankful that my grandparents made a similar choice. My father was “Made in the USA” from authentic and original Polish parts. I will be forever grateful for their courage and fortitude.

2. ahorseback profile image53

I know well the Immigrant origin , being of Scotch -Irish decent ,  Interesting " for freedom and future " , is that what we call the exploitation now of cheaper labor ? The dream of being a house servant for the Nancy Palosis' or the Bush family ?  Or the promise of a job at the  Tyson chicken ranch for  less than a a minimum wage  ?  Perhaps to stand in a group  outside of a home depot  waiting for a contractor to hire cheap manual  labor ?     Yes my friend that three  hundred mile walk across the Sanoran desert dodging the skeletons of those who came before them ? That sure is progress . ----Lets just do have them do it legally  huh ? ........I don't have to "talk " to an immigrant , I am one  as your father was my friend  .

1. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 22 months ago in reply to this

You actually came from a bottle of whiskey? Just joking. I never heard of a Scotchman before. I am also of Scottish decent with Irish, English and German mixed with one wayward American Indian.

The need to come here illegally must be a great decision for these people. The trip, expense, language, culture and danger has to weigh heavily on an individual who decides to come here. I say this as most make this decision with their families in mind. They send money back and work hard in many cases to bring their families here with them.

Obamas decision to allow the immigrants status here is purely political. Hillary will need these votes in the next election. Are you hearing this GOP? You better get a strategy or else you will miss another eight years before you get another chance.

2. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Hello again, ahorseback. I truly appreciate your comments. I think you have made your position quite clear.

Your statement, “I don't have to ‘talk’ to an immigrant, I am one…” seems like a good place for me to begin.

I fear you may have missed the point of my last post if you are telling us that your Scottish heritage means you already know what motivates today’s Latino immigrants. It appears you have never spoken to an immigrant about this nor ever asked one why he risked his life to get here. If so, this might also explain why you confuse his quest for freedom and a future with “what we [i.e. you] call the exploitation now of cheaper labor.”

Let us have a look at typical wages by country. In El Salvador, a seasonal agricultural worker earns about $114, which is per month, not per day! An unskilled laborer from Guatemala probably earned $9.75 a day in his homeland. If he is from Mexico, he is leaving a typical wage of $4.50 a day behind. {1}

Now, Ahorseback, today’s immigrants know their earning potential before they come here. Furthermore, as I have already said, “they believe leaving their loved ones is a price they are willing to pay to acquire freedom and a future.” The median hourly wage for a migrant farm worker here in the US is $9.00/hour ($18,710/year). {2}

Speak to an immigrant. I sincerely doubt he feels he is being exploited as cheap labor. He is in a win-win-win situation that includes him, his employer and the United States.

Opportunities like working as a domestic or punching a time clock in a food processing plant might be well paying, “dream” jobs for many unskilled immigrants. You may not see that as progress but they do! I can not speak for your part of the country, but, at my local pick up spot, the Hispanic day labors earn $10 + an hour.

I think the rest of your post was certainly colorful imagery but mostly inaccurate, like the part about “dodging the skeletons of those who came before them.” Yes, I do know of cases where immigrants have died trying to cross the border but the exaggeration and overly dramatic rhetoric is more emotional than factual.   

Finally, a word about “doing it legally.” Most agricultural workers live in rural areas far removed from US embassies and consulates. Visa applications involve a daunting volume of paperwork and red tape. The fees and processing costs can reach $1000. In El Salvador, after all the preparation is completed, an applicant must wait to receive a letter announcing the date and time to appear at an embassy or consulate for a visa interview. In addition, at the end, there are still huge hurdles created by numerical limits (quotas) and the requirement for a prearranged job offer from a prospective employer that has been approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

“ Some temporary worker categories are limited in total number of petitions which can be approved on a yearly basis. Before you can apply for a temporary worker visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129, must be filed on your behalf by a prospective employer and be approved by USCIS.” {3}

As previously submitted, “Were I suffering under the same economic hardships, I would likely make the same decision.” It is not hard for me to imagine my walking three hundred miles to acquire a significantly better life for my family. Today’s Latino immigrants have the same dreams, the same hunger for a better future as did my grandparents and as did your ancestors, too, I imagine.

It is nice chatting with you, Ahorseback. I hope you have a marvelous weekend.
      {1} http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mi … by_country
      {2} http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes452092.htm
      {3} http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/e … times.html

3. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 22 months ago

THAT'S the "biracial" mix you meant??????? Lol...

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
    Kathryn L Hillposted 22 months ago

'Lets just do have them do it legally  huh ?"
    I concur.
    The leaders need to figure out how to make their own countries better for their people.

1. ahorseback profile image53
      ahorsebackposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Kathrynn, I believe if we look at the situation in Central , South America  , we see that their governments and so their very  cultures are based upon , what we would term , a system of corruption !  All the help in and from the  entire world does little good there .  Of a dollar that we send there only  a few cents , if any  at all drivels  its way downwards  to feed the hungry ! Most Americans don't understand that !  They  cross associate the idealistic image of our own philanthropic  culture , our form of government and our  sense of "giving "to theirs. .  I too feel great compassion for these people , personally I wish that instead of foreign aid , that  we did  unannounced food and medicine drops from the air ! There would be far less waste and corruption  in Mexico or Chile .or anywhere for that matter ............:-}

5. ahorseback profile image53

Quilligrapher , Hello my friend , My thoughts are that you are actually making my case by your own thoughtful  and generally fair and compassionate response ..However , lets look at what you say :

First ,in  the" exploitation of cheap labor ", how is there equality in for instance  a LEGAL immigrant making ten dollars per hour and paying his or her  FAIR share of legal expenses ,  payroll  taxes , income taxes , paying his fair share of health insurance ,  and in the extended costs that you and I pay for --above board?  While the illegal , and they are all around us , even here in rural northern New England , pays nothing for instance  of the associated health care cost when he goes to the emergency room , pays no property taxes that support his children going to our schools ?   How is it fair that these are actually closer to starvation wages if you bring your entire family into the picture ?Within five miles of my home is a large dairy farm , six or seven hundred head of milking cows , there are approximately twenty eight  legal and or illegal immigrants  working there !  Ever heard of  "Hot Bunking "  that's where in eight or ten hour shifts  these poor yet ,"lucky" workers get to revolve their hours around sharing the same bunks when they sleep ! Eight bunks in the glorified barn , twenty four people using them ? 

Second , " the skeletons before them "  I just watched a documentary ' I will find and post that just for you my friend ,    where there is an entire  department of immigration  { I believe of I.C.E .}that finds , retrieves , identifies  through DNA  and then  connects  with families in foreign countries and  returns ,  when   they are even requested  , the  skeletal remains of hundreds of  people  who are found in the desert with their plastic shopping bags of spare clothing and milk jugs empty of water ! This sir ,isn't my emotion response to  a "imagined or dramatic  rhetoric " as you state but my  thoughtful reaction to an exploited people !   And by the way , as to my naiveté' ,  ever heard of the "coffin ships " of Irish  immigration into the U.S. after the potato famine in Ireland ?   Probably yours and my   relatives were on those ships .   Freighting  ships that cared  lumber to England , coal to France  and then filled the filthy holds of these ships with huge  numbers of Scotch and Irish families   for a few dollars  each , and sailed onward to America and Canada .  Yes my friend  , the skeletons are there , yet we conveniently ignore that ! ( for emotional purposes ?}

Third , as to those  in their own country "most live in rural areas far from the authorities'     , that could or would assist  them -- - they ALSO  move to areas far from the authorizes here ! So that they can ignore and exploit  the immigration enforcement here ,  Hence - "hot bunking jobs "  on the farm , all I can say about that is , enjoy your next gallon of milk ., is it then legally or illegally homogenized , pasteurized ?  What  other laws or regulations are broken by corporate America  , related to illegal immigrant labor ?

Lastly , I am not , in spite of what you  might think , emotionally disconnected  from the obvious curse of illegal immigration , I truly feel for these families  - and so  for all of us  in  this humanitarian cause ,  I had an awesome  friend a few years ago , a  great Mexican friend , I have since    lost track of , that I worked with on a construction job ,  The boss paid us in cash each week behind closed doors ,  as he scraped cocaine  from his office desk  with a razor blade ,  , What can I say , I needed the job too !  Quill - we all know these great people with some awesome work habits , But is it fair that they are exploited as a people , just as much as you and I are , as taxpayers ?