jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

Is a free society best defined by theistic dogma or would such be---

1. cjhunsinger profile image67
    cjhunsingerposted 2 years ago

--a contradiction in terms.

How does one define a particular god and the requirements of such a belief? As Judaism, Christianity and Islam provide contrary definitions of their respective god/s; would their corresponding definitions of government follow in accordance? Does religious belief mandate a theocracy and if not, is such a government then a contradiction to the supremacy of the god?

Except for a brief and conciliatory statement in the Declaration of Independence, gods and any reference to religious belief are absent in the US Constitution. Does this obvious absence indicate that the Founders were dubious of the value of theistic principles in the maintenance of a free society and that to insert such principals would deliver the nation back into arms of a theocracy?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

<"...is such a government then a contradiction to the supremacy of the god?">
      How many ways can I say NO? Jesus, himself said to render to Caesar what is Caesar's.

Religion and politics are very separate issues for a reason. Take a peek at Iran!

Here in America, religious belief is separated from the state. The state cannot dictate what anyone is to believe.

Neither can individuals. No one should attempt to convert, change, convice or preach outside of church or place where people willingly congregate with "ears to hear."

In other words, freedom of religion is left up to individuals. The belief in no god, a god or God and the choice of religion...

IS A PERSONAL MATTER

OK?
      Here in America, let's just leave it at that.
      I do not even see the reason for such a question.
      It is disruptive of the Harmony which has already been granted by the Constitution.

cjhunsingerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You and I can leave it at that, but others may choose differently and that is the reason for the question.

oh.  really? I hope it will be a short thread, then. If not, you are right... it should be interesting.

Not necessarily as some may realize that a free society can never be defined by religious truths and that such a stand would be indefensible..

What religious truths are you referring to?

Whatever religious truth you or others may think define a society.

Is the Constitution is based on moral code, do you suppose?
                        I think it is based on English law, the Magna Charta, Classical Greek thought, studies of Human nature and even precepts from Native Americans. I really do not think it is based on the Christian Ten Commandments, the precepts of Buddha or the science of Krishna, etc.*  However, their moral codes naturally provide an answer to the question: What is Justice?

In the final analysis, if you follow Plato in The Republic, justice is giving to another what is owed. What is owed? Classical philosophy reveals: One cannot just do as one likes with out thinking about how one's actions will affect others.  To do so is not good for self, others or society.
                  Jesus, et al.* answer this question in the precept of the Golden Rule: Doing unto others as one would have others do unto oneself. "All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets."
                  Matthew 7:1

* et al.
                  http://www.virtuescience.com/golden-rule.html

I see you have been hitting the books. Good for you.
                    First let me reproach you on the idea that there are native Americans. The Indians wondered to America from Siberia during the end of the last great ice age. They came out of Africa like the rest of us, only we used ships to come from Europe. The only native people are Africans in Africa.
                    The Constitution is based on a wealth of knowledge of what worked and what did not and what lead to tyranny. The Founders drew from the great works of philosophy, works dating to 500 BCE  which formed formed around thoughts of Atheistiism, pagan and theistic writings and from ideologies of secular totalitarianism, as well as the totalitarianism of a theocracy.
                    In the end the idea and the power of government must be in the hands of the people, a secular government devoid of any theistic mandate  or overriding religious authority or alleged truth. In the end, it was, "We the people"
                    If you read Franklin's letter to the Bishops of Danbury, he sums it up quite nicely.
                    The common good has nothing to do with religion, as in such case, all would be referenced to a god and  it is not.

working