In Support of All Police Officers, for Officer Don.

1. ahorseback profile image53
    ahorsebackposted 22 months ago

Once a few years  ago  ,as  I watched , my brother was run down  by a hit and run drunk driver  , my brother was eight years old and  I was twelve ,  In the ensuing weeks after this happened   all of my family  existed in a state of shock  ,     In my  memories of that day  and the few  following days ,there are a few images  that  will forever be alive and  forever  remembered  in my mind !  Two  police officers  assisted as my Father carried my    brother's broken and bleeding  body  to the back sat of  the police cruiser , this was before backboards and neck braces and a system of EMTs  and their 'proper procedures ', this was long minutes before the ambulance  sirens even were heard approaching , the police cruiser actually broke every rule in the book by racing to get my brother to the emergency room  for help .  After the  shock of the death of my brother and the stunned silence in our house  of the following  days , weeks and months ,  our family watched as in  95% temperature and  equal  humidity ,  a  police officer   spent the day on his knee's  searching for evidence in the hot roadside  ditch , apparently  one of the  parking light lenses  from the car that  I  , and another , eventually helped to identify was missing and eventually turned up .!  That officers name was Officer Don , a true hero ., in my book .  As the investigating process took place  , with kid gloves ,  this same officer , figuratively took a twelve year olds hand  and walked him through the legal process of an investigation and trial of the hit and run driver  who killed my brother !.

There are a million stories like this in America  and quite    Possibly More ! And yet , all that's in the news today  is the public trial   , judging  and hanging of  ALL the cops on the street !  Can't you think of one time an officer helped you ?
    Shame on you America !  Shame on you !

1. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 22 months ago in reply to this

No one is here to denigrate these people that serve us all everyday. For every Ferguson and Cleveland, there are 500 examples of the police officer doing his or her job courteously and professionally.

But, as we have seen over the last few months there is always room for improvement and we should be open to such reform as appears necessary.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I can think of officers who helped and assisted me.  I was getting off the bus and a police officer helped me down.  I can think of other instances where police officers helped others in my community.  Not ALL police officers are BAD.  Some were even patient with the more contentious elements of my community; they remained calm and professional in the eye of the storm.