jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is Sony's decision 2 cancel The Interview a threat 2 National Security

1. My Esoteric profile image88
    My Esotericposted 22 months ago

The Interview is a movie about assassinating the dictator of North Korea.  Hackers (now determined to be from North Korea) busted into Sony Pictures, stole, and released embarrassing documents about Sony and their executives.  The same or other hackers then threatened to do the same to any company or person who showed or watched the film after it was released on Dec 25, 2014.  Sony succumed to this, what is in effect, terrorist threat and pulled the release of the film indefinitely.

What are the implications to National Security, if any?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 22 months ago

Wouldn't it be funny if these "terrorist hackers" turned out to be a couple of fat guys from Des Moines who were just screwing around?

"Doooooood! WE'RE AWESOME!They TOTALLY thought we were North Koreans! We just killed the release of a major motion picture!  BEST! HACKERS! EVER! (high five)"

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 22 months ago

1. I don't believe the movie should have ever been made. Sony was screwing around with our national security by making a comedy movie about an unpredictable volatile dictator of an unpredictable volatile country. However, this is a free country and we have freedom of speech. We can screw around with our national security almost all we want to.
    2. But the movie was made and Sony's gunpowder mouth got the best of its powder puff ass.  If they have the gonads to make such a ridiculous movie and promote it so widely, they should have the gonads to follow through on their promises. Therefore, Sony has an obligation to the American people to show it to those who want to see it. Several important people share this opinion, including Michael Moore, Jimmy Kimmel, and President Obama. (Source:  BGR)
    3.  Is this danger really real or is it just a great big publicity stunt because the Sony was in over its head and afraid it wouldn't make budget on this farce? Guess we will just have to wait and see.

If this is a true hornet's nest stirred up, I'm afraid we will have a new front to watch. Since we caved in to these so-called terrorists, what is to stop others coming at us from all directions. It depicts that the United States as a whole is weak, and in this area, we are. If a bear attacks you, you may be able to slip a knife between his ribs, but you can't knife a swarm of bees attacking you. I think Sony's initial arrogance has endangered us all.

1. My Esoteric profile image88
      My Esotericposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I have not decided how I feel about Sony making the picture in the first place, although I know I didn't have any misgivings when I saw the trailers before NK had a hissy-fit.

But as you point out, now that the deed is done, there is, in my opinion as well, a very real danger to America's national security as a consequence.

4. Robert Ellsworth profile image61
    Robert Ellsworthposted 22 months ago

I think there is much more going on with this than Sony simply being cowards. The Norks threat of violent retaliation in American movie theaters is absurd. They may, however have made other threats to Sony and it's home offices in Japan. That is something they are capable of.