jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Should a convicted child molester keep his lotto winnings?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 21 months ago

I was watching an episode of young turks today, and it looks like a registered sex offender has won the lottery.  It was a scratch off lotto ticket, and he won about 3 million dollars (before taxes of course).

According to the news clip, this guy has already served 13 months in prison for molesting two young boys, due to pleading guilty to the charges originally.  And sometime after he got out of prison, he wins the lottery.  However, here's where things get interesting.  The families of the two boys that were violated have found out about his lotto winnings, and they now want to sue him for emotional damages.

What are your thoughts on this?  Should the man that sexually molested the boys pay up for the emotional damage he's caused?  Or do you think he should keep his lotto winnings?  What are your thoughts?

If anyone wants to know more, then please click on the youtube link below:

1. lisavanvorst profile image78
      lisavanvorstposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Good that the families found out and are suing him. Payback is a B well you know the rest.

2. William F. Torpey profile image84
    William F. Torpeyposted 21 months ago

The families of the boys have a right to sue whether or not the convicted child molester won a lottery. The fact that he won a lottery only means he now has assets that a lawsuit could go after. The aggrieved families could have sued at any time unless there's a statute of limitiations. If there is a lawsuit a jury will decide the issue.

Stevennix2001posted 21 months ago in reply to this

That is true.  Morally speaking, I think the man should settle out of court with them, to give them a portion of his winnings because he did ruin the lives of those two boys; hence it's only fair.  I'm not saying he should give them all the money, but a portion of it like maybe a third or half of it possibly.  I don't know.  I guess that's up to the jury to decide, but I honestly don't feel sorry for the guy to be honest.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Does he have a family - a family that is likely close to being destitute now and could sure use that money?

Stevennix2001posted 21 months ago in reply to this

That is a good question.  I honestly don't know.  The young turks never mentioned whether or not he did.

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 21 months ago in reply to this

....a jury will decide the issue....

Just as a jury decided the molesters guilt so should they be able to re visit the new circumstances and award or not award based on the evidence. If there were not a jury to decide all bets are off. Should a guy convicted of a DWI be automatically be denied his lottery winnings when he put so many at risk? Or should a pot smoker be denied based upon his conviction? Where would the line be drawn?

3. TemyusBryant profile image60
    TemyusBryantposted 21 months ago

The emotional distress caused by this type of violation can not be quelled by monetary gain. While I think it would proper for the predator to be required to forfeit some of his winnings to the victims the scars of their abuse will never go away. Revisiting the issue may cause even more pain for the victims in the long run because they now have to relive all the pain and anguish from abuse in court.
    The money may help the families but some stones are better left unturned.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 21 months ago

Unless certain crimes are written into the rules as invalidating a ticket, the money is his as legitimate income. Horrible people retain the ability to earn money from inheritance, stock, property sales etc etc--why would the lotto be different?