jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Plumbing even further to the depths of depravity?

1. 0
    Colin323posted 20 months ago
    1. rhamson profile image74
      rhamsonposted 20 months ago in reply to this

It is peculiar how similar oppression based regimes conduct their indoctrination. Destroying knowledge should be the first warning signs that worse things are going to happen to a society under these threats. But somehow they are able to either scare or convert others in their mayhem.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Colin323, I usually don't click on uncommented links, but since you appear to be new to the political forum I gave it a shot.

Do you have a comment on the link you supplied? Or are you just looking for an opening  to make a point?

1. 0
        Colin323posted 19 months ago in reply to this

Yes, I have a view. See my post of 2 weeks ago.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image87
    Shades-of-truthposted 20 months ago

That is sad, but better burning books than human beings.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I remember watching some 20th century history educational video in school back in the 80s and there was a scene from Germany of crowds of people burning books. The commentator said a phrase that stuck in my head, "when one burns books one ultimately burns people."

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 20 months ago

This is actually nothing new - books have been burned for centuries in the name of religion.  From comic books to Harry Potter to Grapes of Wrath, all kinds of books have been burned in the US over the years in God's name.  The inquisition sometimes added books not from the Catholic library to the fire when burning witches.  That ISIS chose to continue the time honored practice should not be surprising.

1. 60
      retief2000posted 20 months ago in reply to this

Book burnings and bannings are not the exclusive territory of Nazis, Christians, Muslims or even Communists. Every year for decades the "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is hunted down and attack mercilessly because of a character whose name cannot be spoken without powerful forces raising cries for violence, despite the fact that "voldemort" Jim is the most descent, noble character in the novel.

In the land of free speech, speech is not free.

4. 0
    Colin323posted 20 months ago

I can't help think that ISIS know exactly what they are doing in this situation. You burn books, and people flare up in indignation and a number think "Muslim = extremists". This drives a wedge yet again between Christian and Muslim. And what happens when you drive a wedge into a surface: you get splinters, or chips.  At the edges you get Muslims extremists with chips on their shoulders; Christian extremists with chips on their shoulders; louts of all hues with chips on their shoulders, thinking the 'world' is responsible for their lack of impact/talent/persona/human rapport, so they break away and form rabid groups with other like-minded souls. The division gets wider; wars start. 

Would I rather be burned than see books burned?  No.  But those that are not inside my body might think about the 'bigger picture', and I wouldn't blame or haunt them them in an afterlife if they did.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 19 months ago

I hear they are aiming to tear down Petra as well.  Sad, very sad.

1. 60
      retief2000posted 19 months ago in reply to this

Irreplaceable losses to human civilization at the hands of those who believe everything that isn't Islamic must be destroyed, is a little more than sad, it is a travesty and must be stopped.

6. handymanbill profile image62
    handymanbillposted 19 months ago

It is  a shame that so much history is lost. So very sad. There is not a lot that can be done at this point thou.