Science & Religion: Why can't they coexist?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Bohemilee profile image61
    Bohemileeposted 9 years ago

I have had discussions with many people on religion and what their beliefs are. Because I am not as religious or spiritual as some, the discussion normally turns into a debate; Science vs Religion. Now of course that was not my intention because I have no problem with people believing in whatever they want to believe in,  but I often find that when speaking to a person with religious beliefs, some are quick to disregard the evidence in science (especially when it comes to how the world was created) in order to maintain their stance in regards to religion. So why does one have to be disregarded in order for the other to remain prevalent? Why can't a person have religious beliefs and still accept scientific theories as well?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Probably because they give diametrically opposed answers to some of the same questions.

Some believers change the meaning of their holy scripture to match with reality, some refuse.  And the battle continues.

1. profile image57
        retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is hardly true. The Vatican has operated an observatory since the 1780s. The "Big Bang Theory" was proposed by a Catholic priest. Science hardly contradicts religion, even the theory of evolution. The drive to reveal the truth about God's creation is at the root of Catholic teaching on science.

Oh?  I did not realize that the theory of evolution teaches that homo sapiens sprang full grown and evolved from the dust of the earth.  Or that the female of the species originated as a rib in the male.

1. profile image57

That is a rather narrow understanding of Christian thought on science and evolution. There are 1.2 Billion Catholics in the world whose one Church teaches a very different lesson than you offer as representative of all Christianity. Perhaps a little broader scope might help, I suspect it will not, as you have decided that your own deeply held prejudices supersede facts.

I don't think it will ever be possible to understand or even know the thousands of differing ideas from hundreds of Christian sects.  Add in the other religions of the world and I know it won't.

On the other hand, I've never had a Christian ever tell me that mankind evolved from an ape-like creature.  Always that God made man, and without need or use of prior species.  It's also the way I was taught in a Christian household.  It is, in fact, the basis for the reasoning that women are lesser creatures than man, that they should follow man rather than lead.  So I was taught, and so most sects seem to believe as well although that is beginning to change.

And of course, it is what God's Word, given in the holy scriptures, teaches as well.

1. profile image57

It is sad that your education in Christianity was so narrow as to separate you from the loving glory of God's natural world and all the things that He created, things like stellar nurseries, the accretion of solar dust to form planets, the mutation of chromosomes and the rise of life. The entire Universe has a Creator whose love set it all in motion. A Creator who gave humans the intellect and curiosity to reveal the grandeur of the Natural world, full of natural laws and natural systems - including evolution.

Can Man have evolved and have been created by God? Yes. It is a poor believer who compels God to match his personally limited understand. It is the finite and mortal telling the infinite and immortal what is what. We are a fun and funny species.

Is it what the Old Testament teaches? or is it a limited understanding of what simple people were given so that they my comprehend God and creation. Your experience in your household is very different than mine in a Catholic one and in Catholic education for 16 years.

Yes, yes.  I've seen the glory of nature, from stellar nurseries (through a telescope, not a photo) to the absolute majesty of the giants of the earth; the redwood trees.  All I missed out on was the myth of a god creating it all and I even got my fill of that during childhood. 

Absolutely man could have evolved AND been created.  It just isn't told that way in His Word.

If the book was written by a god, for people of all ages, it should be readable and match the comprehension of the reader.  An easy task for an omnipotent god, but one that was not done - perhaps because it wasn't written (or inspired, or overseen, or anything else) by a god at all?  Perhaps it was written by man, for man's purposes and according to man's knowledge of the time?  A far more reasonable and likely scenario than that a creature from another universe did it all, IMHO.  Especially as that entity has now been missing for thousands of years...

But it always ends this way doesn't it?  You insist there is a god that performed specific actions, and worse, actions that do not align with it's own word.  You just can't provide any evidence of any of it, but still expect to be believed and that's where it always ends.

1. profile image57

So how do you communicate omnipotence, omnicience and omnipresence, as well as, the complex nature of the universe, physics, quantum mechanics, genetics, etc...to illiterate 17th century blacksmiths let alone 8th century BC goatherds? Stories teach lessons. Men write stories. Some stories are written with the inspiration of God. The mistake is thinking that the Old Testament is a dictated science book. That, apparently, is the error of atheists, agnostics and fundamentalists.

As for the missing entity, that doesn't comport with any thing the Catholic Church teaches about God and his relationship with humanity. It hardly ends with my mind slamming shut.

2. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Respectfully, you may not know enough ppl. I believe they cannot exist without one another. Most Christians believe that God is the great mathematician and the creator of all things science. You should talk to those who do not separate the two.

1. Bohemilee profile image61
        Bohemileeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I appreciate your response. However, I did not say that ALL religious people that I have spoken with can't have one without the other, I said SOME.  So my question was focused on that percentage of people. Also there are other religions aside from Christianity.  I didn't specify a particular group because I have spoken to multiple people from various religions.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

"Why can't a person have religious beliefs and still accept scientific theories as well?"

A person can.
    I do.
    Many do.
    Especially the reasonable ones.

The unreasonable ones…?
    Well, each to their own.

TWISI

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)