1. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 19 months ago

Recently I was part of a group of people talking of this and that and a joke that was nothing but a plain joke came up and everyone including the three women among us had a good laugh:

Mary: John, I hear a husband cannot stay with his wife in heaven
    John: My dear Mary, that is why it is heaven!

After the laughter died down, one of us, an old man of 65, raised a mild objection and said it could just be sexism. One of the women said it could even be misogyny. As is to be expected, a heated but silly and pointless argument followed.

My mind went back to the time when Obama's "Best looking attorney in the country" remark on California's Kamala Harris was taken as sexism rather than elegant chivalry. Frankly, I thought it was a feel-good remark and showed Obama's class and so  was completely surprised at its being construed as sexism.

It is really sad that we can no longer look at a joke as a joke and use it to let off steam rather than building it. Wither sense of humor?

1. cjhunsinger profile image71
      cjhunsingerposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Perhaps, it is all part of the Newspeak or Political Correctness or Politically Controlled speech an absence of free speech and free thought, a new global way of thinking, speaking and acting. Perhaps, it is a methodology to control,  to coral, to fence the masses into a pasteur of pap and regurgitated political propaganda.