jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Going back to Indiana? What is with Indiana's religious freedom law.

1. Credence2 profile image84
    Credence2posted 19 months ago

Guys, I just love it when the 'right' finds its but in the wringer. ABC's George S. caught Gov. Pence with his britches down. He never got a straight answer from the Governor as to whether it was ok to discriminate against gays and lesbians. This man equivocates.

The Right continues with the inane slippery slope argument that if they could not discriminate in as far as who they do business with as a public accomodation, the next step would be their places of worship.

To me there are three areas of concern, association, religious institutions and businesses. Everyone is of course free to associate with or not associate with whomever they want for whatever reason in their private lives or on their private property. Churches are not a public accommodations, no one has suggested that individuals have to compromise their relgious values in their places of worship.

But business is different, you are a public accomodation, and no you just can"t do anything you like! You have to pay taxes, there is the infrastructure that support your business that I as a tax payer contribute to. Your tax breaks as small or large businesses are taken at my expense. I have to pay for the health inspectors that make sure that your 'greasy spoons' are not making the general public sick.

Yes, you are a public accomodation and you will serve all equally or you will get out of business. I have been around long enough to recall the preposterous premise used to support racial discrimination in public accomodation before the law was changed. I will smash the conservative flat before I will even consider a turn of the clock backwards. Anachronistas all!

Indiana is taking a lot of heat on this now as it deserves to, let us see how the Right  is going to calm this storm? The pressure on Indiana may well be an example to other states to either avoid the issue or look carefully at the provisions they currently have on their books.

Your thoughts?

2. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 19 months ago

The dinosaurs are dying, and they're kicking and screaming on their way out.  Too bad for them, their histrionics are only hastening their death.

Good for the rest of us, though.

1. Credence2 profile image84
      Credence2posted 19 months ago in reply to this

Hello, Pretty Panther, I would say rather than dinosaur, more like a wooly mammoth, the extinct distant relative of their current mascot, the pachyderm! Nice to see you around, return soon, we need you.

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
        PrettyPantherposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Why, thank you.  Not everyone likes my presence, though.  Must watch my words so as not to offend the fee-fees of those who like to call the Forum Police.