jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Historic meeting: Obama and Castro

1. IslandBites profile image85
    IslandBitesposted 18 months ago

President Obama and cuban president Raul Castro met for an hour Saturday. This is the first time the two nations' top leaders talk in more than 50 years.

President Obama: "The Cold War has been over for a long time...I'm not interested in having battles, frankly, that began before I was born."

President Castro: "I have told President Obama that I get very emotional talking about the revolution...I apologize to him because President Obama had no responsibility for this...
    In my opinion, President Obama in an honest man."

What's next? Guantanamo? The embargo? Nothing?

1. IslandBites profile image85
      IslandBitesposted 18 months ago in reply to this
    2. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 18 months ago in reply to this

Kudos to the President for ending a half a century of angst between our two nations. That has got to be disturbing to the political right, beligerant to the core, that can always be counted upon to beat a dead horse.

It is about time!

3. IslandBites profile image85
      IslandBitesposted 18 months ago in reply to this

"President Barack Obama recommended Tuesday that Cuba be removed from the U.S. government's list of state sponsors of terrorism."

4. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 18 months ago in reply to this

What is funny is again the amnesia Americans have when condemning Obama for reaching out diplomatically to other countries we either toppled their governments or made attempts on their leaders lives or a combination of both. We practiced third world politics on these countries and when met with the opportunity to correct them we arrogantly point our noses in the air and economically castrate them. Cuba has every right to distrust us going all the way back to the bay of pigs incident that even Kennedy apologized for. The new talks with Iran is another amnesic episode for many who would rather punish and ostracize rather than work something out with a country who toppled their government in the 1950's.

"the Shah ruled as an absolute monarch for the next 26 years while modernizing the country using oil revenues, until he was overthrown in the Iranian Revolution in 1979. The tangible benefits the United States reaped from overthrowing Iran's elected government included a share of Iran's oil wealth and ensuring the Iranian nation remained under the control of an allied dictator. Washington continually supplied arms to the increasingly unpopular Shah and the CIA-trained SAVAK, his repressive secret police force; however by the 1979 revolution, his increasingly independent policies resulted in his effective abandonment by his American allies, hastening his downfall. The coup is widely believed to have significantly contributed to anti-American and anti-British sentiment in Iran and in the Middle East. The 1979 revolution deposed the Shah and replaced the pro-Western absolute monarchy with a largely anti-Western authoritarian theocracy." Wikipedia

The US has a penchant for installing dictators they can control all the while extracting what wealth the country has. Cuba has been a sty in the eye of the US government since the Castro Revolution and the archaic thinking that has done nothing to change anything.

2. Thief12 profile image89
    Thief12posted 18 months ago

It was long overdue. I'm glad that a President had the balls to go through with it, and I really hope this is the start of a more open and tolerant relationship between both countries.