jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What do YOU suggest should be done to radically decrease the problem

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 18 months ago

of poverty in the United States?  Do you believe that such measures should be a combination of education and relating training, teaching self  empowerment, family education including family planning, and work fare programs?  Something has to be done to curb this poverty epidemic for our current welfare and social problems are only making things worse among the poor.  Discuss.

1. janesix profile image72
      janesixposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I don't know. What do you suggest?

Something needs to be done to have incentive to get and stay married, in my opinion. A crackdown on welfare single moms with five kids, and deadbeat dads.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
      Kathryn L Hillposted 18 months ago

Dear gmwilliams:
      Can you explain the epidemic. I do not comprehend it, because I am not exposed to it.
      Where would I go to learn? Inner cities? Rural areas? Suburban areas?
      Please reveal what you're trying to alleviate and fix.
      then maybe we can determine a Solution.
      problems must be Identified. difficulties must be Isolated.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 18 months ago in reply to this

The poverty mindset, consciousness, and psychology.  The passive, victimology mindset of those who don't want to help themselves.  They maintain that the system is rigged against them; however, they ARE the problem.  They refuse to see beyond their negative scope regarding life. They want and expect others to rescue them from their socioeconomic malaise.  They have to become more proactive in their lives if they wish to improve their socioeconomic status.  NO ONE can do it for them but themselves.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
          Kathryn L Hillposted 18 months ago in reply to this

But where are they and who are they?
            Please reveal!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
            Kathryn L Hillposted 18 months ago in reply to this

"Something I read recently made me think about all this. In his book "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, Close Encounters with Addiction," Canadian physician Gabor Maté looks at the issue of drug addiction through the lens of early childhood brain development. Hard-core substance abuse in later life, he concludes, can often be traced to early childhood trauma: abandonment, nutritional deprivation, battery, rape.

"The majority of chronically hard-core substance dependent adults lived as infants and children under conditions of severe adversity that left an indelible stamp on their development," Maté writes. "Their predispositions to addiction were programmed; their brains never had a chance"

He notes that humans are hard-wired to need strong connections with other humans, and that children need "an attachment connection with at least one reliably available, protective, psychologically present, and reasonably non-stressed adult." Jeff Deitrich from the LA Times article: Sheba, a dog of the streets.

This truly heart warming article gives a look into the homeless condition.
            http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/20 … w-20120820
            Jeff wrote a book called: " Broken and Shared: Food Dignity and the Poor on Los Angeles' Skid Row."

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image85

I walk down Hollywood or Sunset Blvd. and I can't understand why our movie capital looks so dreary and uninviting. Tourists from around the world come here to So Cal expecting palm tree lined streets and movie stars.… they must be so disappointed.
      Why doesn't the city of Hollywood pour in some MONEY????? and some POLICE officers who can clean the place up! We don't call it Hollyweird for nothing these days!
      Rebuttals welcome. Maybe some people like it just the way it is...hmm
      I knew an older lady who's husband moved her up to my area from Kingsley St. in Hollywood near Sunset. All she could do was complain about how quiet and boring it is up here! And how interesting Kingsley St. and Sunset Blvd was when she lived there. She talked about all sorts of funny characters.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image85

You know quite well what the problem is.
      You know that poverty mentality, victim mindset and negative scope is absorbed in the first six years of a child's life.
      You know it is further set during the next nine years depending on his parent's beliefs and people in his environment.
      You cannot change an adult. It MUST START WITH THE INFANT.
      How about mandatory classes for couples signing up for marriage licenses. I hate the idea of more Gov't regulations… But guess what...churches and society have fallen down on the job.
      To solve the problem we need to teach people before they become parents. It must become a big deal to be able to have a child. I mean it is… But many do not grasp what a big deal it is or how expensive it is and how one should have it together before they have a child…OR BEFORE THEY EVEN GET MARRIED.
      Women need to wise UP!
      The problem, Meghan, is that its not gonna be only about you.  Close…
      but no cigar.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image85

I have another solution:
      Public/state Montessori preschools.
      It'll never happen.
      But, it would be the solution.
      Montessori was three hundred years ahead of her time…  so, maybe by 2,300 AD or so.