jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Jury duty

1. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 17 months ago

I've been summoned for jury duty, which will be every Tuesday and Thursday for two months. It's for the grand jury. What should I expect? I'm not sure what exactly a grand jury does as opposed to a regular one.

Also, I am schizoaffective. The law for my state says that I can't be on the jury if I'm "incapable" due to mental illness. I feel I'm capable, but should I mention my mental illness anyway? Do I have to disclose it?

1. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 17 months ago in reply to this

Of course, it is your choice, but I would disclose it, and let them tell you what their definition of "disqualifying mental illness" is. I have never had a protracted jury dury assignment.

2. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 17 months ago in reply to this

depends on how much you want to be on a jury. if you disclose having schizoaffective disorder, you'll be let off in a heartbeat provided you have some documentation to prove it.  talk to your doctor and see what her/his opinion is. even though you feel up to it, she/he might have reasons why you shouldn't.

1. janesix profile image73
        janesixposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I want to be on the jury, I feel it's my civic right and duty. But I will disclose it anyway, I feel it's only right that I do.

1. ahorseback profile image53
          ahorsebackposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Might want to disclose because  if they find out later  not only could  the verdicts be tainted , but  possible charges  for you ? At least tell them and let it go wherever .  It's a great experience tough a bit disappointing to realize that all juries are tainted by personal  issues and opinions .

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image85
    Kathleen Cochranposted 17 months ago

The way I understand it, grand juries decide if certain cases have enough evidence to proceed to trial.  Jurors serve an important purpose.  You'll be asked a variety of questions.  Answer as honestly as you can.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 17 months ago

Disclose what you are asked to disclose.  If you are functioning as an autonomous person and the trial will not exacerbate your condition, it is not going to be seen as disqualifying.