A Rant About People!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

Today my husband and I were driving down the street and a woman in the car beside us flicked her cigarette (lit of course) out of her window and onto the street.  What can people who do these kinds of thing be thinking?  Who do they think cleans up after them?  Have they no respect or civility?  I have even seen people dump entire filled ashtrays out of their car windows.  Imagine if everybody did this.  Smokers aren't the only people who do these kinds of ignorant things, but I get so tired of seeing them, no matter who does the evil deed!

Another of my favorites are parents who place their diapered infants on the counters where people order food or on the tables where they eat.  Who knows what's in those diapers?  Who wants to be next in line after them and have their possibly tainted food served to them.  YUCCHH!

Are we becoming a society of uncivilized, uncaring and ignorant people?  I'm seeing more and more behaviors like this, and frankly, they make me want to never go out in public.

What say you and what is your favorite turn off??

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Almost as disgusting is the way people spit their bubble gum onto the pavements.  The streets are littered with little white blobs of white gum.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I used to teach school, gum was a no-no but kids chewed it anyhow.  Then they would hide it by sticking it under the tops of their desks.  When I caught kids with gum in their mouths, I gave them a scraper and gave them the lovely job of cleaning the gum off of the desks.

They thought that was the janitor's job...I taught them that it was their job if they were going to do something so disgusting.

Worked every time!

Nice one!  I wonder if teacher's would be allowed to give a child a scraper these days, health and safety gone crazy!

Probably not.  I started doing that after I was banned from making the chewers wear their  gum on their noses.  I was accused of humiliating the kids, but nobody seemed to see a problem with kids breaking school rules and/or gumming up and making classrooms less healthy!

Amazing, they ban teachers these days, instead of the kids!

And now you know why our schools are failing!

2. eugbug profile image96
              eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL, reminds me of Willy Wonka's means of dealing with spoilt kids!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They don't think.
      They don't care.
      They have no respect.

And they breed.  sad

+1

2. sallybea profile image96

Heaven help us - they let that kind of person breed!  Or the bubble gum!  Is that why I keep on seeing so much of it?

3. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The litter thing does my head in also, especially when its dumped in the countryside. I've also seen kids come out of a store and throw  ice-cream wrappers beside a bin!  "These people" don't seem to think about their actions, and their lack of concern and respect, and overall bad attitude probably applies to all aspects of their lives... so blame the parents and their upbringing! (Some kids though are heedless and no amount of good parenting makes them turn out ok)  I often wonder what these people's homes are like. Are they nice and clean, or do "these people"  throw stuff everywhere at home also? The attitude is like, "I'll litter the street because someone will always clean up after me". If litter wasn't picked up and allowed to accumulate, would they eventually get the message?
      Another thing which annoys me is people who natter to shop assistants after making a purchase, totally oblivious to the line of people waiting to be served. When this happens, I normally dump my stuff onto the counter and say to the assistant "Are you on a break?"!

4. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's the parents fault. Sometimes when I see a child mouth off to his or her parent it infuriates me. The most important thing we can teach our children is to respect each other. The trash talk you see on television and sporting events is disgusting and an open ticket for them to emulate. I raised three boys and there were three things I hammered home on them and that is you work for what you get, you give the same respect you wish to receive and you pay for your mistakes.

One of my sons was on a visitation with his mother and took a friend with him. They were about 13 or 14 years old. They decided to light some matches in a dry field which caught on big enough to bring the fire department out to put it out. They burned about a quarter of an acre. When I found out I called the other boys Mom and told her I was going to the owner of the land to see what he wanted to do. She was irate that I would rat the children out saying that it might impact them the rest of their lives. I told her they should have thought of that in the first place and that maybe this was the best lesson they could learn. I went to the farmer who said it was okay and not to worry about it. He was a nice old guy in his 90's. I insisted that they at least help him around the farm in payment. He said they could help him with the straw and feeding the pigs. They spent the summer there and guess what they never did anything like that again. There has to be consequences for your actions to change negative behavior. Otherwise it builds and builds until it cannot be helped.

You are spot on with this post.  I hope other parents read it.  They do not help their kids when they overlook unacceptable or even criminal behavior.

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Drivers who are aggressive and show not an ounce of courtesy. I just passed a few coming into my office. If I was as aggressive, our front bumpers would have crashed. Instead, I just squeezed through and gave him the stiff hand friendly wave. Why is it so hard to wait? Why can't both of us move over on a narrow street and give each other the friendly wave? I don't understand why people are so mean. Sigh. Off to see clients now. Thanks for asking.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The cigarette thing drives me cray, but, sadly, I have seen far worse here in Oakland. For some reason people love to roll up on a parking space and just dump out all of their trash from their car. It is usually fast food trash. I think somehow they have convinced themselves that it is ok because there are street cleaners!!!! sad

On the traffic one... I have an 18 minute bike ride to the gym and usually get cut off or turned in front of my about 5 people, mainly cars, but often cyclists. People are, unfortunately, just selfish! sad

Not to mention stupid and ignorant!  How do people get to be this way!

1. janshares profile image92
          jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Entitlement. Lack of connection to others, moving as one community. Me, me, me syndrome.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I am so glad I moved back home far out in the country and do not really need to go into town but for supplies occasionally. The most that I see are wildlife adventures in the food chain right in the backyard. That does bother me somewhat but its a part of the cycle of life.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

In my neighborhood, a lit cigarette could be a lot more of a problem than just littering. That is a very dangerous habit.

I agree.  It really amazes me that people see all the advertising about the dangers of smoking, and yet they still do it.   And the price!!! Yikes!  I think a pack of cigarettes costs around $5.  If you smoke a pack a day, you're spending more than $1800 a year!   All just to kill yourself!

And then they don't have money for health insurance, end up in the ER, etc., and the rest of us have to pay for their care.

What's wrong with this picture!

A friend of mine who worked at a trauma center said that some patients were so addicted that even if they had trach's in their throats...they smoked through the trachs.  Can you believe that? 

Sometimes I think we're living in a world full of morons.

2. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A few years back, someone tossed a lit cigarette out of a car into my neighbor's yard. It started a grass fire that burned a couple of acres of drought parched land and headed toward my property line. The whole neighborhood got out there with buckets of water and tried to contain it until the volunteer fire department could get there.

One small thoughtless act nearly destroyed our homes.

5. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years ago

Christmas before last I spent in London.   All over, everywhere, North, South, East and West of the Greater London area, the pavements are covered with whitish blobs.   I wondered what it was.  Asked a couple of people.   "Is it bird droppings?"

"No, it's chewing gum!"   Can you imagine?  It would cost millions of pounds to clean up the mess.  People of London have got used to it, don't notice how disgusting the streets have become... and this is in a so-called civilised country.

sad

6. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 8 years ago

They don't know!
    The sin is ours for not enlightening them in these issues.
    Teach thy brethren how to, and how not to, and thou shalt be saved (from them of course!) lol

7. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

I wrote a hub on this very thing!  It is a huge issue and the people who do it seem to have no idea what biodegradable means or what a problem they are creating.  I'm with you on this one.

Perhaps an online petition to ban the use of bubble gum is in order:)  Can anyone think of one good reason why people continue to use it?

8. Lee Hansen profile image77
    Lee Hansenposted 8 years ago

I was driving at night on the freeway a few years ago. It was very warm outdoors so I had the windows and skyroof open. A flicked cigarette came through my passenger window and hit my face, then landed on the seat. It took me a few minutes to slow down (I was in the left lane of a 4 lane highway traveling faster than 60 mph) and get to the breakdown lane so I could put out the smoldering fire on the seat and get water onto my face. Never drove with windows open after that.

9. writingislifepjs profile image58
    writingislifepjsposted 8 years ago

You are correct, our society as a whole continually disregards the rights of others. It has become every person for themselves to the point of the complete break down of what has always separated us from the animals:empathy.

10. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I also came across such weird people. For 20 years or more, I had been living amongst places where people used to chew paan (betel leaves with tobacco powder) and spit red colour all around their seats or walls. It was very horrific for me and my family, but very normal thing for those people there.
    And I have seen people throwing banana skins and empty water bottles from running cars on to the streets or pavements without caring for passers-by.
    I wonder, how uncivilised they are.

You don't have to wonder.  They are pigs, not human beings!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)