jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (42 posts)

What do you do with the biggest liar in the modern history of news?

1. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 21 months ago

Why, put him on MSNBC of course! Brian Williams should fit right in there.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-me … -liar-liar

1. Credence2 profile image83
      Credence2posted 21 months ago in reply to this

We can't forget Fox News, recipient of the Ted Baxter Award for excellence in broadcast journalism.

I have watch them bring so called authority figures on FOx and Friends with the most ridiculous spin on current news and events. Hannity, O'Reilly, etc.

That is my vote as the most lying network out there today.

1. profile image0
        TheBizWhizposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I am not sure why Fox News was brought into the discussion. Do you have any genuine thoughts about the discussion at hand; Brian Williams? He did the most disgraceful thing a journalist could do, which was lie on a continuous basis and get caught. Credibility is important in that profession, but MSNBC doesn't seem to care about reputations or reporting the truth.

Brian Williams needs to be chastised for what he has done, but my point is that he is far from the worse example in modern journalism, that is in my opinion, of course

1. profile image0

No, actually he is. this IS the worst example of lying in journalism in my recent memory, yet he still has a job

1. gmwilliams profile image81
              gmwilliamsposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Brian Williams is THE FAVORITE and favorites get away w/almost anything.  That is part of the game.

2. teamrn profile image79
            teamrnposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Credence2. I have to err on the side of FOX here, unless you only speak of the AM and until 5 P. After 5 PM, shows are driven by opinion of the host; just like Chris Mathews, Rachel Maddow and Laurence O'Donnel. Hannity says HIS opiniion. All those folks speak their OPINION.

Now, IMHO, that FOX show in the morning (FOX and friends ? ) should be news. STRICT news. But, Neil Cavuto is a well-known opinion host. You kind of know who hosts an opinion show and who hosts a news show. If I were to watch Al Sharpton on his show, I wouldn't expect news. I'd expect Al's opinion. Shep Smith? news. Morning Joe tries, with news only; got to hand it to Joe Scarborough. But, Mika throws the game, especially with Steve Rattner. IMHO.

2. rhamson profile image77
        rhamsonposted 21 months ago in reply to this

"We can't forget Fox News, recipient of the Ted Baxter Award."

That is a good one! lol

You are dating yourself, RH, a lot of people are not old enough to remember who this clown was!!!!

1. teamrn profile image79

Ted Baxter. What a blast from the past; hubby watches MTM reruns and I caught one with Ted and Georgette and the Green Dress... HMMM...! Anyway, I'll read what move on has to say, but theiy are a far left leaning blog and PAC so there is a definite agenda. Unless they've totally redone their image in 2 weeks!

Judge Jenine or Judy? THey already have axes and they're not iberal agendas, but I'll wait to see what they said before I take one for the team.  Annie

Hey there, Annie, WJM reporting!

Yes, the Emmy winning Mary Tyller Moore Show. One of funniest sit coms around. Don't forget Betty White as the "Happy Homemaker".

You gotta see the one where Lou Grant tries to get the actual Walter Cronkite to take Ted on as his anchor for his national news cast.

The show was among many groundbreakers that depict successful women pursuiing their career independent of the traditional nuclear family arrangement. "That Girl" was another of this genre, that appeared during the late 1960's, MTM debuted in either 1969-70.

Of course, this is all appropriate for another thread, but fun all the same...
              please tell me what channel has the reruns.

Let me know if I need to further corroborate the information I provided?

I think Rey watches them on YouTube; YouTube has ALL the oldies-or he may catch them on Netflix. They have full series on of things that have value and MTM is one of those. I'll have to ask Rey about the one where Lou tries to get Cronkite...hell, I'm laughing just THINKING about it.

But you've got to promise me that you'll hunt out the one where Mary befriends a hooker , bails her out of the slammer. Not so like our wonderful Mary! The story that unfolds with Lou, the forever father figure to Mary is nothing short of hysterical and I believe introduces Sue Ann and Rhoda. Don't know, really don't care, but it was hysterical. It's all in the little green dress!!! Ted LOVES loves it.

Thanks for telling me where i can find the episodes, I will look for this episode, now that I can find the sources.....

Rey just got home from work and I asked him about those episodes of MTM. He said he got the on YouTube. "THey're probably available on Netflix, but he watches on YouTube. He's looking it up right now. He watches a TON of oldies but goody CLASSICS and we both think of MTM as a classic, "Who can turn the world on with a smile...?" The link is for 3x 24 min episodes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd79aZ … O4ETfgJbqQ

Remember the episode when CHUCKLES THE CLOWN DIED and Mary burst out laughing at his funeral? Think Lou did it too and Ted lost it on-air. if I'm not mistaken. I laughted so hard!

I do remember that one,  never thought that I woiuld find an occasion to laugh at a funeral. It was just as funny watching her trying to keep from laughing.

Sometimes its a welcome break in political talk to remember that there is a common bond that we all share; we all appreciate a GOOD laugh and not to take ourselves too seriously. NOT! No, I love to laugh, but what is coming out as humor these days is a poor excuse and would have a pretty hard time standing up to the MASH, MTM, Loug Grants and Archie Bunkers of yesteryear!

Yes, indeed, from "The Honeymooners" on, laughter help get us through the not so happy reality of the world around.

I have started so hubs on the history of American television and pop culture. I haven't got over a few recent cases of 'writers block".

I am blessed to have seen so much and can comment on same.

"All in the Family" was groundbreaking and very controversial at the time of its debut. I like to listen the philosophical discussions between Archie and "Meathead". There were a couple of episodes when Sammy Davis Jr. dropped by the Bunker residence for a few laughs.

What got me wondering was the "Bewitched", debut in 1964. Even when I was a kid, I could never understand that Samantha with all these powers as a witch would be satified washing dishes, vacuuming the carpet, and most of all
                  putting up with a bonehead like Darren Stephens. Talk about giving everything up...

Everything is so cynical today, we laugh at someone else's expense. I go to my 'Looney Toons' to get my laughs these days.

3. teamrn profile image79

What are some of the SPECIFIC lies you have heard on FOX, other than on their opinion shows (which are the shows beginning with Greta, O'Reilly, Hannity and then Brett Baier?

One example I have that I provided from a source that would be free of political bias. There are more, just getting my conveyor belt started....

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/foxnewsfacts-t … ne-1482986

Here is another lie regarding the nature of ACA and the public's response to it.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/1 … -su/201580

You can consider these two appetizers prior to the main course.

Appetizers; back to topic!! But a pleasant break from media matters. THey're a bit too far left wing (a liberal PAC and blog) for me to take seriously.

Let me check the other link, but Judge Judy and Jenine don't speak for me. They speak for themselves and even though he's a FOX contributor, that doc (Siegel) is clearly giving his opinion), which when all is said and done, is what all of us without statistics are doing. (though numbers can be phrased in such a way as to seemingly command authoritativeness.)

About the ACA; if it is so precious and costs were decraseing, why did my premiums go up 37% (and I wasn't, am still am not, the affluent  person-just crawling out of bankruptcy and on disability) and then another $65 this year.

There is NO way you can insure more people, offer more services and promise-AND CARRY THROUGH ON THAT PROMISE-that premiums weren't going to go up.

Also, pre-existing conditions. Most places won't cover my lupus, and it is  pre--existing condition. The one company that will cover it, covers at the tune of $220 MONTH more. Did the POTUS pull the wool over tons of people's eyes with that one.

When I questioned Blue Cross Blue Shield about the denial (they won't underwrite coverage for it), I was told one little detail that the POTUS 'left out' of his stump speech, "The pre-existing condition condition clause didn't affect Medicare recipients."

Imagine, if you will, the numbers of seniors in Florida ALONE who fell hook, line and sinker for that line when BO fed them that BLATANT 'miscalculation' which I consider to be A LIE. I use that word very sparingly, but this is ONE time that it seems the only appropriate word.

Annie, I have to defer to you as the health care professional here. I still am trying to get an accurate grasp around ACA. I knew that we were all howling during the Nineties and the first decade of this century about health and medical costs spiraling out of control. Living near Denver General during the early 90's, I recall having to go to the hospital and seeing the indigent virtually queuing around the place. How much of the cost of treating these people had to be passed on to the taxpayer? Are we going down a slippery slope, toward socialized medicine? Perhaps. We have Medicare and Medicaid today, someone may have sounded such an alarm 50 years ago.

How much value can you consign to a health insurance that covers patients and their pre-existing conditions? I enjoyed this as a federal employee and retiree, was I naive to think that others could enjoy this as well without busting the treasury or them? My wifeof 8 years is a retired RN and living testiment to the toll that nursing can take it practisioners.

She has had Malaria, has Spinal Meningitis, athsma, acid reflux, migraine headaches, irritable bowel, diabetes, deteriorating disks and joints requiring hip replacement and replacement of at least one knee, much of that I am attending to now, we are in quite a pinch. We do have BC/BS as our provider.
              Without this provision, her  life itself would have been forfeit.
              While there are many areas of contention about ACA, that quite frankly, I am not qualified to speak about, does the other side (GOP) have a alternative? Is it back to the conditions of the past? If they believe in a 'free market' solution in the case that Obamacare flounders in the courts, I would like to see them roll it out.

I did not know that Medicare made distinctions based on pre-existing conditions. I have a family friend with lupus, I hear that it is quite involved and painful, I can only hope that you find relief and comfort.

We do have a problem in the medical/pharmaceutical/insurance arena, can we not go backwards and find a bipartisan way to make that which currently falls short better?

I am not going to pat the President on the back for the ACA, I have heard many good outcomes from people who could now get insurance who could not afford it previously.

Oooh, I was starting a response to your post about the ACA and had it about halfway finished when it got lost in cyberspace. I'll try to resurrect it! Annie

2. promisem profile image94
              promisemposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Teamrn, I have mixed feelings about ACA, but I can give you a couple of reasons why your costs are going up.

1. If you are employed, they are going up because employers continue to shift more of the burden onto employees and less on themselves. The average health care costs to employers has been growing at 6% a year, while the average for employees has grown 8%.

2. People are willing to pay more for better medicines, care and procedures. Doctors are more than willing to prescribe expensive care. The average cost of cancer treatments has grown 100% in 10 years.

3. Only 4% of patients use specialty drugs, but those drugs account for 25% of total drug spending. In other words, a small number of people are driving up costs because they simply want to live -- or because they don't take care of themselves (smoking, obesity).

4. Obesity continues to climb in this country, and with it come a host of related diseases. I'm extremely healthy, and I'm paying a lot of money for health insurance to cover those people.

One other fact: The increase in total last year was the lowest since certain agencies began tracking them in 2012.

With all due respect, promise-em (gee, was that what was said, promise-'em the moon and I'll win the election?). Your last name wouldn't be Gruber, would  it?

I know what makes my costs go up and they are pre-exiting conditions. But, we weren't told that costs for pre-existig conditions were going up; we were just told that instead, they would beovered.

All of the above 4 reasons you state are accurate. But what are you going to do about the costs, is the question? Let die those who don't t care for themselves? Sounds despicable. Who is the all powerful Oz, who knows and has the insight as to why someone's tour on earth, may have run it's course and a trip to Judgement Cityis in order?
                "Doctors are more than willing to prescribe expensive care. " That's true, but we live in a culture where people have to develop a spine. The docs will keep prescribing expensive care as long as the feel that by doing so, he placates the famly and patient unit..

You're to be applauded for the decision to become and remain healthy; to take charge of your health. What about those of us in this world who in spite of all the self care and good behaviors, didn't get hit with the 'healthiness genes?' Rather, we got a quadruple dose of disease care genes?

Yes, you pay a lot of money to cover the mes, but what is your alternative?

That Obama is a Muslim, a Communist and part of a conspiracy to turn the U.S. into a Muslim nation. Also that he wasn't born in the U.S. and therefore holds the office illegally.

My parents got all of that from Fox news shows, and I have to watch it whenever I visit them in their small condo. It's on every hour of the day.

I have to pipe in here; you said that FOX is on 24 hours a day. How is that the problem of FOX? If they found CNN more entertaining, they'd watch CNN. I don't watch FOX all the time, but have heard those facts discussed when you read about birth-ers.

2. gmwilliams profile image81
      gmwilliamsposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Of course if this was a meritocratic world, Mr. Williams would be fired and banned from ever reporting the news again.  There are journalists less famous who received such treatment.  However, Mr. Williams is a pet and thus he received a proverbial slap in the wrist.   In the corporate and entertainment world, there are favorites and the unfavored.  The favorites are the ones who get away with murder while the unfavored are punished for the slightest offenses.

3. profile image0

I find it hard to believe that no one disagreed with me about Brian Williams and MSNBC. I am glad we all know they both deserve each other.

promisemposted 21 months ago

What do you do with GM executives who ignored faulty ignition switches that led to the deaths of more than 70 people?

Nothing.

Justice is not fair or equal. It bows to the amount of power held by the person committing the act. Brian Williams has enough power to avoid getting fired. GM officials have enough to avoid jail or fines. Tom Brady ... well, you get the point.

1. rhamson profile image77

Brian Williams still has an audience that NBC wants to exploit for commercial gains. At least that is what makes sense until it doesn't. The news has become irrelevant. They report their version of what the news is that they want. For example: When reporting the current Presidential race they talk about the popularity as it was a horse race with all the percentages (odds) and their position behind whom . Who knows what the candidates stands on the issues are. And that even changes as the polls let the candidates fine tune the lies to meet the trends.

1. promisem profile image94

Right, his audience is the basis of his power at NBC.

2. profile image0

You are right. He still has an audience at MSNBC. They seem to be the types that can appreciate his creative liberties with facts. It seems to be par for the course there

3. teamrn profile image79

"Brian Williams still has an audience that NBC wants to exploit for commercial gains. At least that is what makes sense until it doesn't. The news has become irrelevant. They report their version of what the news is that they want. "

They wouldn't 'report their version of what the news is' If it didn't sell. (If it bleeds, it leads). If viewers really want to know the FACTS about an issue, each candidate has a website with views on the issues. Or if it's not developed yet, they can punt and listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddows version of the trutth.

But, if they REALLY wanted to know facts, they'd get off their duffs, stop willing to be spoon fed someone else's idea of fact and do their OWN homework. Nah! That requires a bit more work and sadly, the average American voter is to 'lazy' to do his own reading.

Until they do, this country will deserve the continued downward trajectory that it's on. Do your homework and form your own opinions. Read the headlines, then stories, C-SPAN and  C-SPAN 2 ,and then go to impartial factchecking sites. Forget FOX, MSNBC, Bill Maher, ..

1. rhamson profile image77

"That requires a bit more work and sadly, the average American voter is to 'lazy' to do his own reading".

I believe this to be one of the most significant truths of this countries demise. The lazy apathy over the problem is what is at hand here and we are to blame. We like to complain about the President, Congress and even our local Mayors and Commissioners but WE do NOTHING to change it. We would rather call each other names and preach philosophies and how wrong the "others" are. We used to be the "UNITED" States of America. Now we are a sniveling mob of selfish sycophants taking whatever the elitists deem as our reward.

3. BruceDPrice profile image89
    BruceDPriceposted 21 months ago

You fooled me. I thought this was going to be about Obama.

4. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 21 months ago

I agree on all counts.

The TV shows today only know how to make "fart jokes". They don't have any depth or any creativity.

I'm also glad that we all can find bonds no matter what little differences we have.

That is a big 10-4, Biz, finding the bonds is the half the fun.

working