jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Do you find this haircut distracting enough to suspend a student?

1. realtalk247 profile image70
    realtalk247posted 16 months ago

Last year, 5 year old Jalyn Broussard’s mother, upon picking up her son from school was told her son could not come back from school until his hair was trimmed. Jalyn Broussard was a student of a Catholic school in California.  While I understand a Catholic school might have stricter dress codes and appearance standards rather than public school, the haircut did not appear distracting to me? What do you think?  Do you think it would be appropriate to kick the child out of school?
    Yes the family filed a complaint with the department of education, requested tuition reimbursement, and suggestions were made to increase cultural awareness.
    A 5 year old kicked out of school. The treatment appears to be clearly established early in life. 

1. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 16 months ago in reply to this

The haircut is fine for a public school code. Private schools oftentimes have much stricter guidelines. I'd have to see a copy of their guidelines before attempting to decide whether the hair cut was OK or not.

2. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 16 months ago in reply to this

I have to agree with L to L, he looks pretty 'clean cut' to me. I would have to look at the regulations pertaining to dress and appearance to see what violations there are if any. But on cursory observation, I would to question any institution that would have a problem with this young fellow's haircut.

3. chuckandus6 profile image53
      chuckandus6posted 16 months ago in reply to this

One of the biggest things to accomplish is individuality iN kids, if that was my son i would fight it out with the school