The government shuts down every Friday and remains shut until Monday morning. It shuts down for holidays. The House and Senate shut down for long vacations and the country carries on. Is a government shutdown really frightful?
It is more like a pouting little boy throwing a tantrum to get what he wants. We no longer have legislators but instead bullies who feel they can make demands beyond their authority. Why not put the defunding of Planned Parenthood on a referendum? Because it would be voted down is why.
+1 You're exactly right - a pack of bullies or tantrum throwing children that can't work within the intended lawmaking process so try to do an end run around it to get what they want. Remember the party in Wisconsin(?) when all the Democrats(?) left the state rather than vote on something they were going to lose (may have the party and/or state wrong)?
Alternative Prime- I thought Obama care covered women's health issues. I also challenge you to find a Planned Parenthood Clinic where they do mammograms and have done them for at least five years.
Progressive Democrats like Nancy Polosi , Dianne Feinstein are totally connected to the working class how? These ladies own huge properties in California, employ huge number of serfs and are rich, rich, rich. Then you look at Mrs. Feinstein's husband, Richard Blum, he is rich rich rich.
Willderness- So glad to see you. What happened to the reply button on questions? I was lost when I first came on and thought you were not being politically correct to me. LoL
Nice to see you back, too, TT. Doesn't seem like I've seen many of your posts lately. Or maybe just missed them.
Can't tell you about a reply button on questions - I very seldom visit the questions section.
But Wilderness, PC? Not likely in any case, though my comment above was not to you, but rhamson.
well of course not but we still need the gov. because i we didn't then we would live in anarchy and that is not a world we want to live in there are much finer things in this world than killing each other.
In a government shutdown, personnel don't get paid. And there a long term effects, even if the shutdown lasts a week. Not all Federal agencies and facilitlies shut down on the weekend or close. National Parks, Ranger Firefighters, Customs Inspectors, Air Traffic Controllers and Federal law enforcement agencies operate almost 24/7. Even though the parks close, there are Federal personnel living there to monitor the facility. All sorts of emergencies arise. And of course there is the military, although they are funded slightly different than standard agencies. Plus, it just looks bad. Since these shutdowns usually are initiated by my own party, I get embarrassed. The perception of obstructionism remains in citizens' minds.
Good, Valid Points lion44 ~
Collecting a regular paycheck is pretty important to most workers and could be the difference between a mortgage payment or default ~ Some try to dismiss a GSD as "No Big Deal" or as a "Minor Inconvenience", but this is certainly not the case ~
Even republican Rand Paul is running away from his own party on this one ~ Who knows what he'll do next but he's sending a signal ~
Most conservatives like Romney, Jeb Bush and many others have always been disconnected from the working class in America ~
And the Dem's ARE connected? What a laugh!
Progressive Dem's are absolutely connected to the working class 100% ~ Fighting for Workers, Senior Citizens, Students, Minorities, Income Challenged, And Veterans is the reason for their existence ~ Just look at Voting Records ~ They have fought mightily to "Raise the Minimum Wage" & Support "Labor Unions" which provide an essential "Buffer" between themselves and over reaching corporate management ~ Two critically important issues which conservatives have vehemently OPPOSED throughout the decades ~
It was Mutt Romney who said, and I paraphrase, "If a young adult wants a higher college or university level education, let him/her go borrow the money from his/her parents" ~
Some individuals are confused by thinking that during a Shut Down just the Congress & Senate are idle, this is not the case, it goes much deeper ~
What a laugh is right , Dems are connected to worker rights , only in theory ! More wages , raise the minimum wage , hire more workers , raise taxes for more government employees , more free benefits , .......better health care ,
Problem is , the free market system has to pay for all your wish lists for advanced laa laa frills ! So what happens ?
Higher taxes , layoffs in the private sector ,more welfare roles , more government workers on the payroll just to hide a high unemployment rate !
Why the working class pays for it all! Who else is there? Somebody has to pay for those "free" benefits and the only real source is the working middle class people (that aren't already getting tax breaks and freebies, anyway).
wilderness ~ I don't recall that I mentioned "Free Benefits" ~
* Labor Unions pay dues in return for protection from "Corporate Greed" "Harassment From Managers/Owners", "Discrimination" etc ~ A HUGE Democratic Value ~ If you believe there are any adverse affects, take that issue up with the COMPANY NOT the HARD WORKING EMPLOYEE ~
* "Minimum Wage Increases" will be absorbed by those who should pay the addition cost, the COMPANIES, not passed on as an intentional "GOUGE" to the consumer ~ If corporations don't like it, let em' Ex-Patriate assets and workers like they have been for decades ~ CEO's will always find an EXCUSE to MOVE out of country in a concerted effort to INCREASE EXEC PAY, Officer Pay and to meet WALL STREET EARNINGS EXPECTATIONS ~ EVERYTHING Bad always stems back to CORPORATE GREED ~
* "Student Loans" should be affordable for students pegged at a very LOW interest Rate ~ Or, just go borrow the 100K+ from your PARENTS like republican Mutt Romney suggested ~
BTW ~ Extremist Republican Ted Cruz is leading the charge to SHUT DOWN OUR Government if Planned Parenthood, an organization which provides Essential Health Care Tests & Procedures to Women is not de-funded ~ Where is this rigorous attitude to de-fund big OIL Subsidies? Where's Ted Cruz, Jed Bush, Dr. Ben "Never Read the U.S. Constituion" Carson on this BILLION Dollar Tax-Payer Give- Away?? ~
You have gotta be from Mars. No one else can possibly be that naive!
1. I didn't reply to you: "more free benefits" came from ahorseback.
2. Labor unions pay dues primarily to receive wages higher than anyone else in the market. Not "protection money".
3. Companies are NOT going to simply absorb increased wage increases, and only a socialist would ever think they would.They will absolutely pass those increased costs to the customer, with the result that the new minimum wages is too low and must be raised. This is termed "inflation" for those that don't like to use that nasty word.
4. Student loans are already subsidized and with a low interest rate - whether they are "affordable" depends on how hard the student will work, what skills they have accumulated and how much they are willing to sacrifice to get an education. The socialist will say that they should not have to work, that they should live a life of leisure and play while in school and that no skills are necessary. I disagree with all of those.
5. Can you point to oil subsidies that are not intended to benefit social programs? Real data, please, not simple radical opinions, and data to include at least one billion dollars in cash subsidies (what is claimed).
That is kind of what I have been thinking. The government has shut down plenty of times.
Most of the headlines I see say Obama is threatening a veto and a government shut down. Of course he will blame it on the people who appose the murder of unborn babies, the murder of born alive aborted babies, and the sales of human baby body parts.
This could be one of America's finest hours.
by Alternative Prime18 months ago
Prosecuting malicious conservative republican politicians in congress for attempting to Shut Down OUR Tax-Payer-Funded United States Government is long over due ~ If there are no consequences for their irrationally...
by AnalogousMethod3 years ago
Due to the government shutdown, we had to pay people to make new websites telling you that we can't afford to run our websites. The new websites are using the same already-paid-for domains and already-paid-for hosting...
by Mike Russo3 years ago
Read this article from the NY Times. It's about a well planned, highly funded conspiracy to shutdown the government if Obama Care is not defunded. Please share this with everybody you know. The...
by Dan Harmon3 years ago
One of my family recently posted a link,http://m.townhall.com/columnists/thomas … t-n1716292that, if true, makes it pretty plain that the Republican controlled House voted in a complete budget, enough to operate...
by loveofnight3 years ago
What does government shutdown really mean and how does it impact you/me? Every time I turn on the news all I hear is reporters talking about the possibility of a government shutdown but I don't know how to feel...
by Person of Interest3 years ago
...links. (Forum title parameters too short)I just stumbled across this: "Unfortunately, the FTC is closed due to the government shutdown."Let's start a collection. Who else can find a shutdown federal...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.