Palestinian flag flies at United Nations for first time

1. IslandBites profile image85
    IslandBitesposted 13 months ago

The flag was raised in the rose garden at 1:00pm on Wednesday as a large crowd of diplomats and reporters watched on.

“Now is the time to restore confidence by both Israelis and Palestinians for a peaceful settlement and, at last, the realization of two states for two peoples....I sincerely hope that a successful peace process will soon yield a day when we unfurl the Palestinian flag in its proper place – among the family of nations as a sovereign Member State of the United Nations.”-  UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

(Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas today renounced political and security accords with Israel due to its continual violations of the 20-year-old agreements. But he also declared: “My hands remain outstretched for the just peace that will guarantee my people's fights, freedom and human dignity. I say to our neighbours, the Israeli people, that peace is in your interest, in our interest, and in the interest of our future generations... From this rostrum at the United Nations and in this period of religious holidays, I also extend a sincere call to the people of Israel for peace based on justice, security and stability for all.”

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Abbas' speech "was deceitful and encourages incitement and lawlessness in the Middle East." Netanyahu's statement also called on the Palestinian Authority to join Israel in direct negotiations without preconditions.)

More tension between the two? International pressure would finally affect Israel actions?  Same ol, same old? What's your take?

1. Thomas Swan profile image93
      Thomas Swanposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Netanyahu is the biggest barrier to peace in the region. There won't be peace while he's there.

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Same old, same old while the settlements continue to grow. It is in the Palestinians best interest to ignore more promises as after Israel says they want peace they annex more land.