Where do Americans die by gunfire? (map)

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

What do you think of this? 

U.S. gun deaths
    A county by county map of gun fatalities per 100,000 people.

http://www.oregonlive.com/data/2015/10/ … _gunf.html

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width620/img/data/photo/2015/10/06/18916798-mmmain.jpg

1. Anna C Taylor profile image86
      Anna C Taylorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think Americans have a serious violence problem.

2. My Esoteric profile image85
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did you know that ATF, FBI, and other similar types of federal agencies are not allowed to track guns used in crimes or maintain databases to capture gun crime data?  One stupid outcome is the feds can't study baby head injuries because some of them MIGHT be from gunshots.

3. My Esoteric profile image85

You can't see the game without a scorecard.  Below is a map representing the degree of gun regulations where the darker greens equal better regulations.
      http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12688357_f248.jpg

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

2012 Election Results, by County
    http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2012/

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2012/Election2012RedWhiteBlue.png

The pattern is quite similar.  Any thoughts as to why?

3. colorfulone profile image76
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Listen to statistics from Bill Whittle here. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz … e=youtu.be

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 8 years ago

Your pretty picture would seem to indicate there is a wide variance, but other than that, nothing.

What do the colors mean?  The link doesn't say either - it, too, seems to simply indicate there is a variation.  What a shocker.

Wonder how well it would match with a similar picture of murders (homicide)?  Would areas with more guns or gun controls have more murders or fewer?  That would seem to be a discussion point but just that it varies doesn't say much to me.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't consider it to be a pretty picture.  Interesting, maybe, but not pretty.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't know - if shades of blue = 1 gun homicide per decade and red shows 2, I'd be pretty happy.

I suspect that is not the case, though.  Certainly it isn't (1 or 2) per year or the counties around me are totally fallacious, so your guess is as good as mine.

1. profile image0

Here is the interactive map, with a link to the data:

http://projects.oregonlive.com/ucc-shooting/gun-deaths

Based on this map I should consider moving to Iowa...

2. colorfulone profile image76
            colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can tell you for a fact that map is FALSE where I live. 
            It is propaganda and not to be believed.

It is very, very rare to have shootings around here.
            There are more people injured by a rare hunting accidents.

1. profile image0

I should believe you over the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention?  After the tripe you've posted on these forums?  LOLOLOLOL

3. wilderness profile image94

Ahh.  Thank you.  A 7 year time span, ending 5 years ago - I wonder how and why that was chosen? 

I did find the fact reasonably accurate for my county (10)...IF every murder was done by a gun (doubtful as I remember one by dragging behind a car and one by drowning).  Of course, I also note that Massachussetts area has a rate 7, while other stats show it to be around 2.5 per year.  Or 17 - I figure I would still question.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/eops/pub … -jul09.pdf

All that's left is to understand what it means (except to extrapolate that there are more murders than that) and to stay away from those areas.  I don't find significance in the political map except to not most of the blue is high density (and known to be high murder rates) while the red is spread everywhere else.

2. Anna C Taylor profile image86

Here's another interesting source that might answer some of your questions: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the- … f-america/

I think there is a difference between gun deaths and homicides since is some states, like Oregon, the most gun deaths are actually suicides. But when thinking about  this issue I think it's important to take all details into account.

Most gun-related death statistics are per 100,000 residents, though on the original map it's unclear.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12683382.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12683383.jpg

1. My Esoteric profile image85

Mass shootings are a relative rarity, aren't they?  They make up less than 0.1% of all gun deaths.  So, your point is?

Gun deaths are a problem even if they aren't mass shootings...

I don't know I'm concerned about accidental shootings and murders too. Just because the media likes to shrug those deaths off doesn't mean it isn't a big deal and something we need to be aware of. All gun deaths are a problem.

1. My Esoteric profile image85

That was sort of my point.  The real issues are first and foremost suicides and then homicides between friends and family (the primary source for guns in the hands of criminals, btw).  Those two categories would be most reduced if the states followed MA's or CT's gun laws.

1. wilderness profile image94

Is there something in place in MA or CT to eliminate the same killing from happening using a different tool?  Or is it just a pipe dream that killers won't kill if they don't have access to a gun?

2. Anna C Taylor profile image86

Ah I get what you're saying. In that case, I'm not arguing with you. smile

5. colorfulone profile image76
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

PrettyKitty, NiceKtty!  smile

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Being media observant , I have definitely found that we can no longer rely upon fact in our media  !   Google up anything about  crime rates  , gun deaths ,  geo- accuracy in fact based studies  of crime . Anything  to do with real fact . And what you get is SLANT ,  politically biased  numbers , "expert "  opinions , but never do we get accurate accounts of    crime stats. I  also believe  that it's a concerted, if however disorganized ,  effort put forth by media and government to  keep us from the realization that our traditionally based opinions of  things that are  wrong in America is pretty  real .  Yet , those who realize and point  that , minorities  , race ,  cultures outside of those assimilated into our culture, have negatively influenced ours , are called bigots .  And , That  order in our society is beginning  to crumble ! Especially inner cities ,    I also believe that, like it or not  ,  American cities , towns  or in  rural America , our people  have become so detached from traditional roles , that we are in a  moral  and ethical drift ,   the influences of immigration  of "other "cultures  in America  has tuned our melting pot  stew  into a fairly distasteful gruel  !

Want fact ?   Make up your own .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)