Liberal/Progressive vs. Moderate/Conservative-,Point/Counterpoint

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 months ago
    What makes Liberals/Progressives contend that poor people in America have lesser opportunities to become educated & successful as opposed to more affluent people?   Why do some Liberals/Progressives believe that the only way to uplift the poor is through the proliferation of social/welfare programs w/ some even advocating the more equal distribution of income?  Conversely, what makes Moderates/Conservatives contend that poor people in America have as much, even more opportunity to become educated & successful as never before in history, remarking that it is the middle classes who are having less opportunities therein?  Why do some Moderates/Conservatives maintain that poor people w/very few exceptions CAN lift themselves out of poverty only if they APPLIED themselves w/ some even advocating that it is the increasing proliferation of social/welfare programs which are turning the poorer classes into a dependent class?   YOUR views?

1. Credence2 profile image84
      Credence2posted 11 months ago in reply to this

It is true that affluent people have more advantages to be educated and successful than poor people. I just say that that reality does not preclude the possibility of success for poorer people, it is just more difficult.

Statistics show a less socially mobile America today, than in times past. Donald Trump will contend that anyone in America can do what he has done, that is, of course, if you inherit 300-400 millions from Daddy.... That is what the conservatives sound like to me.

Our ideologically stances in regards to this issue are relative. I am going have a greater tolerance for social services and assist to our poorest members who want to take an effort  over any rightwinger. But, while I have this greater tolerance, it is not absolute.