Compassion for the Syrians

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

We are being told the refugees  being relocated to Europe are widows and orphans.
    I want to be compassionate.  So I imagined myself in the position of a Syrian widow.
    Would I want to be taken away from my home during my time of grieving?  Perhaps I have no home anymore. I would be shell shocked.  I would hardly be able to think. 
    Moving me to a western country where I didn't speak the language or understand the culture wouldn't be my first choice.  What I would want would be to get back to normal as quickly as possible. A safe area in my own country, with a culture and as much of my family that remains around me would be the best I could think.  I would have hope that some day I could go home.  Is moving all these Syrians to western countries really compassionate? How much hope would someone like me have if there was no hope of going home.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know. We should go into Syria and help them there. 
      and PROTECT them.
      Maybe.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We did that in Iraq and Afghanistan both.  Worked out really well, didn't it?

2. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Is moving all these Syrians to western countries really compassionate?"

No, I do not see that as compassion, not when most of the Syrian refugees want to remain as close to home as possible.  Providing them with safe zones would be more compassionate and humanitarian. Those zones would have to be militarized to keep terrorist groups from hiding within the refugees.  It would cost less then moving them, and I believe they would be happier and it would give them more hope.

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It all sounds well and good, but who is going to commit ground forces to fight ISIS, Al Queda, Assad, Russia, France and list goes on. There is your WWIII right there. Try carving an inhabitable oasis on the Planet Venus and you will understand the difficulty of the task at hand.

Who is going to prepare the ground to do all these things that in "Trump's" words would be wonderful?

2. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Possibly the most disturbing news I have read ...

US Pilots say that Obama is blocking 75% of ISIS air strikes. 
    http://www.wnd.com/2015/11/u-s-pilots-o … jIoYLkB.99

ADDED

A Vote Obama Cannot Veto!
    "The House voted 289-127 in favor of a bill that would require greater scrutiny of Syrians and Iraqis applying to become refugees in the United States. In a stunning rebuke to President Obama, 47 Democrats ignored the president's veto threat and joined 242 Republicans to pass the measure by a veto-proof majority. Reporters at CNN and the New York Times reported that the Obama administration's defense of the the refugee program actually lost Democratic votes:"
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/syr … ontent=TWS

3. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Well, yeah, it is.  Imagine that you fear every day for your child's life because of the country you live in.  For me, personally, I would want to get the heck out of there to protect my child.

If my home here was destroyed by war and we were homeless, afraid to fall asleep every night for fear that we would be killed overnight, the "inconvenience" of being in a country where I didn't speak the language and was unfamiliar with a country's culture would be the least of my worries. 

It's not as easy as saying "well hey, let's just go in and fix things!"  If it were that simple someone would have done it by now.  Help people get out of a situation where they have to be truly afraid that they or someone they love will die today.  I can pretty much guarantee you that every single person who is trying to keep their children safe would gladly deal with some culture shock right now. 

And if my husband and I had been killed and my daughter was all alone, I would still want her to be somewhere safe as soon as possible.  She would adjust.  Losing her parents is going to be the hardest thing she ever goes through so she could handle relocating.  It's a much better option than waiting for someone to "fix" a problem that is not easily fixed.  She would have a very real chance of dying before that happens.

tirelesstravelerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My daughter lives in Paris.

1. Aime F profile image69
        Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would think that would make you more sympathetic because you can now understand what they go through every day.

Learn to Live- In life everyone tries to return to normal as soon as possible.  That's why people who are abused stay with their abusers.  Normal is what you are used.  I believe contrary to media reports those who are leaving are mostly men.  A Muslim woman who knows nothing of the outside world  would leave with her husband, but a widow especially one who has nothing and only knows her family wouldn't want to leave.  The indomitable human spirit allows people to survive in the most amazing ways.  In the past, when leaving war torn areas wasn't an option, what did people do?
          Consider your grandparents or an aged family member  will they want  to leave their home when there is a storm warning,

or when they need to move to assisted living.  People get entrenched.  My grandmother survived 3 months after she move out of her home of 50 years.
          At the "Drop of a Veil", By Marianne Alireza, is about life in a Saudi Arabian family from an American woman's view.  When I met Marrianne in the early 70's she was exactly as you might imagine an American women who married into  Saudi life would be.. My great aunt was a good friend of her family in Southern California.
          There are still places in this world that people live in almost prehistoric conditions. Traveling to somewhere new is not everyone's dream.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image59

I am concerned for her safety, but her job takes her all over the world and there is nothing I can to to do to protect her.

4. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 8 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something here. Aren't the refugees all actively attempting to leave the area? I would think the compassionate thing to do would be to embrace them, not send them back where they are running from.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)