jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Donald Trump vs GOP Establishment Regulars-1912 Redux?

1. Credence2 profile image86
    Credence2posted 10 months ago

Hi, folks, ain't history grand?

The situation that Trump and the GOP finds itself in today is so reminiscent of an earlier period in American history where an immensely popular and charismatic person named Theodore Roosevelt challenged the GOP establishment represented by the more contemplative and deliberate William H. Taft.

These men were good friends, with the successful TR grooming Taft to take the mantle of the Presidency from him in 1909 after TR served the remainder of McKinley's term and one term in his own right. In those 4 years between 1909 and 1912, these friends had a 'falling out'. The problem was that Taft was more conservative than progressive. TR wanted a more activist approach to the office and that simply was not Taft. Taft turned out to be a grand Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, but a mediocre President. The jobs have different duty descriptions. In my opinion, Theodore Roosevelt was certainly one of our greatest Presidents.

Today, the establishment regulars of the GOP may well be in error if they think that they can get a saddle and bridle on the bucking bronco, otherwise known as Donald J. Trump. Trump is considered as charismatic and bombastic in many circles. I don't see 'greatness' in Donald Trump.  He is not my cup of tea, but that's just me. He wants a more activist stance from that of the party regulars and he has quite a following.

In 1912, the rift between Roosevelt and Taft was so great that TR went on to form an independent party, "Bull Moose". In the history of politics in this country, third parties have generally not been successful. The result was a split in the GOP vote allowing patrician Woodrow Wilson, Democrat, to win the Presidency in the 1912 election.  This is the first time that a Democrat had been elected President since Grover Cleveland in 1893.

This will happen again, Trump will challenge the establishment GOP making losers of them both in the 2016 contest, putting a Democrat in the White House once again.

So, I have seen this movie before. Can any of you show how it might end differently?

2. Sam Montana profile image83
    Sam Montanaposted 10 months ago

Trump is basically saying everything the public wants to hear and the other politicians are too afraid to say. Which is sad, but as usual, the mainstream politicians are not able to take a stand, be honest or say their opinion for fear of losing.

Teddy Roosevelt would make a great president today and it is too bad many have now made the word progressive a bad thing. Back in Teddy's day, it meant helping Americans, helping workers, helping the environment, stopping monopolies and much more. Today, the term progressive means something worse.

1. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 10 months ago in reply to this

Thanks Sam, for weighing in.

I think Trump is more of a 'bull in a china shop' than the great 'truth teller'
      But, as I said, he has quite a following, regardless.

I don't know if TR could survive today, the press would rip him to shreds. Could you see him in his spectacles on CNN or Fox News?

3. Sam Montana profile image83
    Sam Montanaposted 10 months ago

Teddy would be a breath of fresh air in today's politics. Not some politician that is bought and paid for by their lobbyists.