jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Brian Sandoval (R) for SCOTUS?

1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 7 months ago

Reports are that Obama is vetting Sandoval for the SCOTUS nomination.  While I know very nothing of the man, the little the link says looks good.  Is it possible Obama is really going to do something right?  And if so, whatever will the Republicans do about it when one of "their own" is nominated and they're promised not to consider anyone?

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/white-house- … m_fb_msnbc

1. GA Anderson profile image86
      GA Andersonposted 7 months ago in reply to this

His judicial resume' seems a little limited relative to some of the other Justices I checked. 10 years as District Court judge doesn't seem an especially well-rounded background for the Supreme Court.

But... that is just a first thought, he may be very qualified to others.

wildernessposted 7 months ago in reply to this

And the law attorney should help as well.  Perhaps a little light, perhaps not - I really don't know much about him at all.  But I did like the few points the article had.  As you say, a first approximation.

2. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 7 months ago in reply to this

Obama has done many things well, you just have not been paying attention.

I hear that further obstruction from McConnell is going to hurt GOP senators and representatives from blue states particularly who are coming up for reelection in the fall. That will help us libs get that current Congress rightsized or should I say 'leftsized'.  And the 'scarecrow will' deserve the recoil from his ill considered declaration and approach.

I just hope that Obama did not sell out, and fold up like a lawn chair before a bunch of rightwing bullies and their loathsome threats.

He may be the last of moderate centrist conservatives, one that supports abortion rights.  The damned Republicans probably expect Obama to select another Scalia, or Robert Bork.... surely they have another thing coming.

wildernessposted 7 months ago in reply to this

LOL - I've been paying attention, all right, but there has been precious little that he's done well.  Like ObamaCare, like the way he pushed it through congress.  Like illegally inviting illegals to remain here and telling law enforcement to ignore the law of the land.  Lots of things, but nothing done well.

I don't think Obama has any reason to fold, and doubt that he cares enough to do that.  He's through in any case and thus has no reason to fold (unless there is more garbage pronouncements up his sleeve!).  Which is why I am surprised at what is may be a good choice.  Or maybe he's actually learned that he isn't King and that "centrist", whether D or R, is the way to go.