jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Foreign-born U.S. military veterans deported despite service

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 16 months ago

Foreign-born U.S. military veterans deported despite service
    Juan Valadez once embraced the Navy’s ideals: Be your best, serve with honor, protect your country. But because he was born in Mexico and taken to the U.S. as an infant, his pact with America when he joined the military came with a catch: If he ever was convicted of a felony, he would be deported
    Valadez, 33, is one of the thousands who served in those middle years when naturalization wasn’t a part of boot camp graduation.

Advocates estimate there are now at least 2,000 U.S. veterans living in northern Mexico, many in border towns such as Tijuana and Juarez where English speakers can find decent-paying work in telemarketing and other service-sector jobs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/foreig … li=BBnba9J
    Is this fair ? Did he earn the right to be an American citizen?

1. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 16 months ago in reply to this

Bravo for writing this hub. Important issue. Sharing on FB, Twitter and HP.

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I didn't write this HUB; it's a news article that I am sharing to get others opinions.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 16 months ago

This article buries the lede:  This veteran is a convicted felon.  For any service member, that condition has consequences.

Personally, I think anyone who serves should get automatic citizenship.  I also think anyone who serves in a war zone should never pay taxes again.  They've risked their lives for their country - no one should be asked to do more for their country than that.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 16 months ago

If he failed to bide by the agreement, and is convicted of a felony, then HE violated the "contract", not the US.

working