Ted Cruz proved he was a Canadian citizen

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 8 years ago

By renouncing his Canadian citizenship, Ted Cruz further proved his Canadian citizenship. [1] I really don't understand how this is continually overlooked by the RNC and the elections overseers. The RNC is shooting themselves in the foot by diluting the vote and weakening all their candidates.

"What Madison and gang established as the standard for presidential eligibility is not basic citizenship, it is “natural-born” citizenship. Simple translation: it means you have to be born in the territory of what is or will be the United States. Last time I checked, Canada is neither in the U.S. nor is it about to be annexed." [1]

"That was the intent of the term “natural-born citizen,” framers were saying that for every job in the U.S., being a citizen was good enough, but to be president, more was required — a test of hyper loyalty if you will." [1]

"In fact, Cruz himself would make the best argument against his own eligibility. That’s right, Cruz believes in originalism — that’s the conservative belief that our constitution should be interpreted not as it applies to our laws and standards today, but rather how ordinary people would have understood it to mean at the time it was ratified in 1788." [1]

"Here’s the clincher: In 2014 (yes, that’s only two years ago), sensing he had a serious problem, Cruz on the advice of his lawyers, “renounces” his Canadian citizenship so he can run for president. Of course, by doing so Cruz finally confirms what many suspected – that he’s a Canadian citizen – a simple, but crucial revelation. Here’s the point: By renouncing his original citizenship, Cruz has only further proven his original citizenship." [1]

[1] https://www.yahoo.com/?fr=yset_ie_syc_o … orcl_hpset

1. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Americans born overseas to an American parent (s) are American citizens.  That's the precedent that is followed.  Children of foreign service employees, military dependents and others are eligible to be President. Cruz automatically had dual citizenship.  I don't think Madison envisioned us having thousands of American citizens who have families scattered around the globe when that was written. 
      The foreign born (neither parent is an American) are still not eligible. That's fine.   Cruz has no shot of winning anyway, so don't worry about it.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Do you agree with this article rhamson, or are you just offering it to start a conversation?

ps. Your link took me to a generic yahoo page I could not find your referenced article. But I did find several other sources that discussed the question, and my conclusion is that your linked article is simply an opinion piece that is easily proven wrong.

GA

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

To clarify the law , one has to have, ONE   naturalized U.S.  parent [note  single, not plural  } , to be eligible for US presidency . Pretty simple if you ask me !   Did Cruz have dual citizenry ?  Is that what he gave up , , A lot of you people ought to read a rule , history , factual book once in a while !

3. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 8 years ago

Not all KKK members vote for Trump, some vote for Ted Cuz.

America can not have a Canadian Commander in Cheif of the US Military. Like me, Canadians are too nice, I was kicked out for not being warlike. What else do Republican have if not a war agendas. Export Ron Paul to Canada too, nobody can compare to Trump being toughest on ISISI

imagine if Whites don't win, that will harm their greater profits, and may have to pay people of colour more. Predominately Whites and their white house will be smeared with Browning. After 81 major wars with Brown and red countries will add up to nothing. If you allow the total of 86% people of color of the world be equal to Whites, your finished.

Don't allow it or Whites will be reduce  to 9% of the total of world population I'm 2 decades.

For me, I speck Spanish well and tan brown well and will dye my hair black and hide amoung mexican, like an illegal Alien..

4. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 8 years ago

I am sorry the article did not come up but it stated that the Constitution allows only a natural born in the US to become president. It also said that Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship to be in the race. If he always was a US citizen why would he feel compelled to renounce his Canadian citizenship?

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I found this on Wikipedia...it gives the reason why he hadn't removed his Canadian citizenship before he decided to run. 

"Cruz has stated that when he was a child, his mother told him that she would have to make an affirmative act to claim Canadian citizenship for him, so his family assumed that he did not hold Canadian citizenship. In August 2013, after the Dallas Morning News pointed out that Cruz had dual Canadian-American citizenship, he applied to formally renounce his Canadian citizenship and ceased being a citizen of Canada on May 14, 2014.

Several lawsuits and ballot challenges asserting that Cruz is ineligible have been filed. No lawsuit or challenge has been successful, and in February 2016, the Illinois Board of Elections ruled in Cruz's favor, stating, "The candidate is a natural born citizen by virtue of being born in Canada to his mother who was a U.S. citizen at the time of his birth.""

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ted moved back to the US at age 4. So he was raised on hambugers,chips and coke rather than donuts, pancakes and bear.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Section 1, Article 2 of the constitution states that "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

There is nothing there about being born within the borders of the country.  Although the constitution does not define "natural born", wikipedia has this to say: "The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. Many scholars have also concluded that those who meet the legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at the moment of birth", regardless of place of birth, are also natural born citizens."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)