jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Ted Cruz proved he was a Canadian citizen

1. rhamson profile image77
    rhamsonposted 6 months ago

By renouncing his Canadian citizenship, Ted Cruz further proved his Canadian citizenship. [1] I really don't understand how this is continually overlooked by the RNC and the elections overseers. The RNC is shooting themselves in the foot by diluting the vote and weakening all their candidates.

"What Madison and gang established as the standard for presidential eligibility is not basic citizenship, it is “natural-born” citizenship. Simple translation: it means you have to be born in the territory of what is or will be the United States. Last time I checked, Canada is neither in the U.S. nor is it about to be annexed." [1]

"That was the intent of the term “natural-born citizen,” framers were saying that for every job in the U.S., being a citizen was good enough, but to be president, more was required — a test of hyper loyalty if you will." [1]

"In fact, Cruz himself would make the best argument against his own eligibility. That’s right, Cruz believes in originalism — that’s the conservative belief that our constitution should be interpreted not as it applies to our laws and standards today, but rather how ordinary people would have understood it to mean at the time it was ratified in 1788." [1]

"Here’s the clincher: In 2014 (yes, that’s only two years ago), sensing he had a serious problem, Cruz on the advice of his lawyers, “renounces” his Canadian citizenship so he can run for president. Of course, by doing so Cruz finally confirms what many suspected – that he’s a Canadian citizen – a simple, but crucial revelation. Here’s the point: By renouncing his original citizenship, Cruz has only further proven his original citizenship." [1]

[1] https://www.yahoo.com/?fr=yset_ie_syc_o … orcl_hpset

1. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 6 months ago in reply to this

Americans born overseas to an American parent (s) are American citizens.  That's the precedent that is followed.  Children of foreign service employees, military dependents and others are eligible to be President. Cruz automatically had dual citizenship.  I don't think Madison envisioned us having thousands of American citizens who have families scattered around the globe when that was written. 
      The foreign born (neither parent is an American) are still not eligible. That's fine.   Cruz has no shot of winning anyway, so don't worry about it.

2. GA Anderson profile image87
      GA Andersonposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Do you agree with this article rhamson, or are you just offering it to start a conversation?

ps. Your link took me to a generic yahoo page I could not find your referenced article. But I did find several other sources that discussed the question, and my conclusion is that your linked article is simply an opinion piece that is easily proven wrong.

2. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 6 months ago

To clarify the law , one has to have, ONE   naturalized U.S.  parent [note  single, not plural  } , to be eligible for US presidency . Pretty simple if you ask me !   Did Cruz have dual citizenry ?  Is that what he gave up , , A lot of you people ought to read a rule , history , factual book once in a while !

3. Castlepaloma profile image26
    Castlepalomaposted 6 months ago

Not all KKK members vote for Trump, some vote for Ted Cuz.

America can not have a Canadian Commander in Cheif of the US Military. Like me, Canadians are too nice, I was kicked out for not being warlike. What else do Republican have if not a war agendas. Export Ron Paul to Canada too, nobody can compare to Trump being toughest on ISISI

imagine if Whites don't win, that will harm their greater profits, and may have to pay people of colour more. Predominately Whites and their white house will be smeared with Browning. After 81 major wars with Brown and red countries will add up to nothing. If you allow the total of 86% people of color of the world be equal to Whites, your finished.

Don't allow it or Whites will be reduce  to 9% of the total of world population I'm 2 decades.

For me, I speck Spanish well and tan brown well and will dye my hair black and hide amoung mexican, like an illegal Alien..

4. rhamson profile image77
    rhamsonposted 6 months ago

I am sorry the article did not come up but it stated that the Constitution allows only a natural born in the US to become president. It also said that Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship to be in the race. If he always was a US citizen why would he feel compelled to renounce his Canadian citizenship?

1. colorfulone profile image88
      colorfuloneposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I found this on Wikipedia...it gives the reason why he hadn't removed his Canadian citizenship before he decided to run. 

"Cruz has stated that when he was a child, his mother told him that she would have to make an affirmative act to claim Canadian citizenship for him, so his family assumed that he did not hold Canadian citizenship. In August 2013, after the Dallas Morning News pointed out that Cruz had dual Canadian-American citizenship, he applied to formally renounce his Canadian citizenship and ceased being a citizen of Canada on May 14, 2014.

Several lawsuits and ballot challenges asserting that Cruz is ineligible have been filed. No lawsuit or challenge has been successful, and in February 2016, the Illinois Board of Elections ruled in Cruz's favor, stating, "The candidate is a natural born citizen by virtue of being born in Canada to his mother who was a U.S. citizen at the time of his birth.""

1. Castlepaloma profile image26
        Castlepalomaposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Ted moved back to the US at age 4. So he was raised on hambugers,chips and coke rather than donuts, pancakes and bear.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Section 1, Article 2 of the constitution states that "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

There is nothing there about being born within the borders of the country.  Although the constitution does not define "natural born", wikipedia has this to say: "The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. Many scholars have also concluded that those who meet the legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at the moment of birth", regardless of place of birth, are also natural born citizens."