When John Kerry Won the Election - A Brit's Lament

1. GA Anderson profile image87
    GA Andersonposted 6 months ago

I stumbled across this author and an interesting 'Diary' entry concerning American politics.

It's dated, (2006), and you can spot some failed predictions/perceptions, but the article does make some interesting observations.

London Review of Books - Diary - John Lanchester

The John Kerry anecdote at the beginning leads to party politics, the net's political blogosphere, and Main Stream Media musings.

A couple observations brought out the 'Hmm..." in me;

The Net's political blogosphere is the Left's counter to Right-wing talk radio... Hmm...

Folks of other nations, (politically-minded ones), view American elections with a sense of impotence; they know the results may impact them, but there is nothing they can do to affect the outcome.

Then he really hooked me with a bit from the TV series 'The West Wing'.

Instantly, Donald Trump came to mind... A pre-2006 TV series statement... Hmm...

1. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 6 months ago in reply to this

So, from the Brit's perspective America is the nation most feared and hated and the outcome of its elections gives those on the outside a sense of impotence as not able to affect the outcome.

That is how we are seen by the outside. My opinion of Bush was the same as the author.

BTW, I missed you in the debate about lobbying and campaign finance. I will try to dredge up the thread and give an opinion.

Have a great weekend.....

1. GA Anderson profile image87
        GA Andersonposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Greetings Credence2,

I recall something about a lobby thread... I think you read a little more than was there in that "most feared and hated" summary.