jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Obama has no problem with Larry Wilmore's use of racial slur, aide say

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 months ago

Obama has no problem with Larry Wilmore's use of racial slur, aide says
    WASHINGTON — Comedian Larry Wilmore's use of a racial slur in comedy remarks about President Obama on Saturday has drawn controversy from civil rights activists — but not from Obama himself.

Obama told aides Monday that he "appreciated the spirit" in which Wilmore used the N-word at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, which came after an observation about how far the country had come on racial attitudes during his lifetime.

"Words alone do me no justice. So, Mr. President, if I’m going to keep it 100: Yo, Barry, you did it, my n—a. You did it."
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ … li=BBnbcA1
    [b] Do as i say and not as I do?[b/]

1. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 5 months ago in reply to this

It is quite simple, really.

I would just assume that entertainers not use the term because yourself and people like you misinterpret the action. The same reason why I would not want the President to appear on the Bill Maher show, as Bill keep asking, until he is no longer President. The themes and the language are not appropriate and will diminish President Obama and the Office of the President, in general.

Here's how it is, my cousins and nephews may call me 'featherhead' from time to time as a nickname. But, they are family and I know them and the intent behind the term, to cajole me a bit.

But if a stranger calls me that I may well take offense and offer a knuckle sandwich in exchange to the offender.

Black people use this among themselves in a sense of camaraderie. We share a common history and experience. We know of the term's hateful history, but again when whites use it, it is an insult. I will bet you that if the comedian were white, the n-word would never have been contemplated as part of his or her routine.  May not make much sense, but that is just the way it works.

2. ahorseback profile image55
    ahorsebackposted 5 months ago

Is anybody really surprised that there is a double standard in racisms  rhetoric ? Seriously people  , this Pres. Obama  has been a most divisive leader ,   incapable of being normal  , he has said from his beginning he would rather racism was brought to a media head ,  "bring it on " was his  comment in the beginning .  I've always said he is the racist , by reverse racism .

1. PrettyPanther profile image86
      PrettyPantherposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I'm searching my feeble brain trying to understand what you are saying here.  Obama has no problem with a black comedian using that term during a comedy routine and somehow that is reverse racism?  Huh?

1. ahorseback profile image55
        ahorsebackposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I believe there are two faces to racism , an extroverted ,outward hatred  manifested by an "open mouth insert foot " stupidity of  "whites" . And ,  the racism that is perpetrated by the minority themselves ,  " Nigga'  ,  cracker , white bread , honky ", ........." , shall I go on ?   
        By todays media generated standard  racism is the fault , ,tool  , the boogy -man originated by white America to keep minorities in their place  .  Yet it's okay for President Obama ,Al Sharpton  or Larry Wilmore for that matter , to direct racism at themselves or at others from the white house podium ? It's actually shameful to see or hear .