jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Winston Churchill Biography "The End of Glory"

1. GA Anderson profile image86
    GA Andersonposted 5 months ago

After all the bullhockey posts in these forums, I have to make another stab at promoting a fabulous read!

Churchill - The End of Glory by John Charmley

If you have any interest in WWII or WWII-era British politics this is a must read.

My first impression was that Mr. Charmley was full of himself and his mastery of the English vocabulary. It is a tough read, not exactly a page-turner. And he certainly wasn't a Churchill sycophant, but... once into it, it gives amazing insight into the man, British politics, and the British/American relationship through the WWII period.

You can find this book for under$5 on ebay or half.com - well worth the money.

Get it! read it! And piss on who can use what bathroom!

1. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 5 months ago in reply to this

Thx for the tip.  I'll let you know what I think.

1. GA Anderson profile image86
        GA Andersonposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I really hope you do. It took me over a month to get through it, (bedtime reading). But it really expanded my understanding, and I am anxious to find someone to discuss it with.

For instance; I am a Churchill admirer - from historical and mass media info - but I had no idea how much of a blindered(yep, I know, SP), world view he had.

I had a very negative view of Chamberlain's enthusiasm for his Hitler agreement - only to find out that Churchill did the same thing with Stalin and Poland.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 months ago

Churchill admired the American Constitution / government should be representational with separated powers to make sure that exercise of power is based on a system of justice. He believed in trusting the people and the importance of free and open debate.

He believed that powers over local things should be exercised locally.

The last words of his last speech in the House of Commons were, "…never flinch, never weary, never despair."

He wrote 73 major works listed here: