Mohammed Ali-RIP, more than just an entertainer or sports personality

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13046323.jpg

Mohammed Ali meets the Beatles in 1964.

I mourn the passing of this shining example of Black manhood. A man who stood tall, never content to be just a segment of the larger minstrel show going on around him and other Black celebrities. Behind all of his 'clowning' was a man of deep convictions and great courage, who challenged the 'system', called it out to account for its endless contradictions. At the heart of the 1960s and the Civil Rights Movement, no one could ever say that he did not 'pull his weight'.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Muhammad Ali was MORE than a boxing champion & celebrity.  He was an activist & ant-establishmentarian who wasn't afraid to go against the powers that be.  Forget about political correctness, he said what had to be sad, forget about consequences.  He was forthright. He was one of a kind.
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13046442.jpg

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and back then I just wanted somebody to shut his bragging and outrageous mouth up. He really got my attention when he refused the draft. At first I thought he was very duplicitous in that while he made his living in a violent sport he eschewed war. I also questioned his faith in Islam as a shield against those who would be critical of him. As I grew older I realized what a truly gifted boxer he was and a master of his craft and most times he put his money where his mouth was. I loved that he hated Don King who wrecked so many young boxers careers. I also realized upon reading more about him that his resolve was genuine and that playing the "Bad Guy" was just a promoting ploy he masked his brilliance with. It was a shame he was silenced with Parkinson's Disease as when he was able to express himself through other means he was still as sharp as when he taunted all of us.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

I grew up watching Muhammad Ali and loved and admired him.  He was a man of principle, courageous to the end.

3. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

I was a fan of Ali because he could box fight.  He was a true champion in the ring, he liked to brawl and he could take a beating as well as do the beating. 

"Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13046457.jpg

I invested in Ali while he was alive, so I own him thanks for the security interests. 
    He will be remember!

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Geez, you never pass up an opportunity to politicize, do you?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually its about character and the image of  character  , not  politics !

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is now why he is being revered now, Einstein...

2. colorfulone profile image79
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Huh? I didn't bring politics into it, you did. 
        I am recognizing a champion boxing fighter that I admired.
        Who made my life more secure because I made investments.
        Trump and Ali were friends, all politics aside.

I just so happened to have photos of Trump and Ali on my computer.
        I had a lot of photos of Ali on my old computer, and use to write about him on other sites, and it paid off well too. It wasn't political then either.

I am paying my respects! Trump, Obama and Clinton paid their respects to Ali, and many more political leaders have, its not about politics.  He was respected for his boxing career, and he died.

ADDED: we can change our posts for up to four hours in the forums.
        That is something that is very cool about HubPages Forums. Liberty!
        http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13046518.jpg
        I just realized this thread is in Politics and Social Issues!  cool
        I think someone does protest too much!

1. profile image0

Truly lame.  Truly. 

Ali was friends with a lot of people, but you chose a picture of Trump.  We're not stupid, colorfulone. Your attempt at claiming innocence is pathetic.

2. profile image0

Wow, this post continues to grow long after I replied to it.  Why do you do that?  I know, you're frantically trying to justify your politicization of Ali's death.  Sorry, we're too smart to fall for it.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Also a guy that legally got away with  running from the military draft , white hundreds of thousands of other less fortunate , poorer kids , without celebrity-hood , served their country  or left it  for Canada . 
    ................Yea,  let's all idolize him , he's a hero !    Not.

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, like Trump and George Bush II., despicable people who bought their way out. Mohammed paid a penalty for his stance and courage, so for once in your life, please put a sock in it, huh?

Who knows, you may have well been hiding behind your mother's skirts when your country called for your service?

I did my bit, so how about you?

5. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Do you need to go to your safe space?
    ADDED:
    http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13046529.jpg
    (Ali's big celebrity fight night was spent with a friend. Photo)   
    Even though Ali and Trump were good friends, Ali did speak out against Trump's temporary ban on Muslims. Maybe bias, but not racial.

1. profile image0

No, do you?  You must be feeling pretty sleazy right now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)