What do Jefferson, Madison, and Hamilton mean by "Happiness"?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

The term "Happiness" is in the Declaration of Independence and is used often in the Federalist Papers.  It is always used in the context of the "purpose of government".  For example, in comparing and contrasting the existing government under the Articles of Confederation with the new government, should the Constitution be ratified, Hamilton says in Federalist Paper #59 the new government will do a better job at the "advancement of happiness" than the current government can do.

So, what does happiness mean?

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Meant entirely  as the  moving away from colonialism and towards liberties  , towards the liberties that the left is fast moving our system away FROM !  The definition of happiness is liberty for all , NOT just the  entitled left.

My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If "happiness" were "liberty,"; then should Jefferson and the committee of five written the DOI with the words "life, liberty, and the pursuit of liberty"?  Doesn't make sense to me.  You might read this and get back to me http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusiv … -happiness

2. rhamson profile image72
        rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah its got to be those lefty commies. Let's get rid of them and we will all be happy. Really?

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I share I am pondering with perhaps new enlightenment while pondering is the key term. I searched the web finding several sites. Perhaps is helpful or maybe TMI. They are:

Lexical Investigations: Happiness

Rick Santorum says happiness 'at the time of our founders' was 'doing what you ought to do'

The first gives food for thought. It offers with this quote a perspective of happiness relative to mindsets of the day; "more political interpretation of happiness to English speakers with his 1725 treatise An Inquiry into the Original of Our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue. It is rather long and I only skimmed. Also, it is the original print format and 'Old English'. So, easily I became lost. It would be nice to see it in a translated to modern English.

The second is inspired by a speech by Rick Santorum discussing happiness. The contrast with today is then it was a result of something you ought to do perhaps a duty (Civic?) contrast today seeking perhaps gratification. Locke's essay Essay Concerning Human Understanding is mentioned. The link arrives where necessity of happiness is explained while the following section offers the reason for it. A key is there seems to be the exchange for happiness with felicity used in the second section. That lend credibility to the dictionary meaning referenced next. The article offers dictionary meanings from Jefferson's library copy of Johnson's Dictionary (1775) and others too. Those for Happiness from Johnson's are:

" Happiness

1. Felicity; state in which the desires are satisfied

2. Good luck; good fortune.

3. Fortuitous elegance" 

I bookmarked for further reading and study. Really a lot to digest, yet wished to share adding to. Thank you for asking the question and providing for pondering . . . I'll listen to further contributions while trying to form a perspective.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

I've always thought, when I read the words 'pursuit of happiness', that it does imply liberty. But, on a broader scale than the simple first word in the sentence in the Declaration. Liberty from a tyrannical government is not the same as freedom from a stifling society. I think they were hoping to forge a society which openly accepted and welcomed diverse beliefs and ideas. And, by creating such an environment we would be in a better position to freely pursue our individual ideas of happiness without fear of being ostracized.

I more or less see your point; without liberty, you cannot pursue happiness (whether it be Aristotelian or Lockean kind).  But, I can't equate the two, I can only get as close as 1st cousins.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would think you have some idea as to what you think it means. Could you share?

I will, but I would like to see how the discussion proceeds (assuming it does) before I jump in.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Happiness without liberty , liberty without freedom , freedom without vigilance  ,  vigilance without  knowledge ,  knowledge without sacrifice .   sacrifice without  love of country. Cannot exist .

I almost agree with that because you can easily have "vigilance without knowledge" and "knowledge without sacrifice".  To me "freedom without vigilance, knowledge, and sacrifice" is more true.

Nevertheless, this does not say "Happiness = Liberty".  Liberty is a precondition to Happiness in the same way breathable air is a precondition to life.  While, in the latter case, one is a precondition to the other, no one can say air = life in terms of characteristics.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

We can mix words day after day after day ,   The founding  or floundering Fathers .....:-}.... Knew exactly  what happiness meant  , I have been studying  something new in my family genealogy  and  their  involvement in the revolution in America , before it's beginning, some of it written down   .    I truly believe that we can easily lose our  understanding of the happiness  after the opposite  during the tyrannical rule of an outsider .  What is that saying  of,   Franklins ?......"I am a soldier so that my son can be a farmer  , so that his son can be an artist "?

I believe that we as Americans today are trying to understand the meaning of their definition of happiness  And we may very well  be doing it from OUR  occupation as" artists"  !   Rather than as the "farmers"  for tyranny that  our fore-fathers fully understood.

Perhaps we have become  spoiled by our new found occupations .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)