jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

D-Day Remembered?

1. rhamson profile image76
    rhamsonposted 4 months ago

While I peruse the news and views this morning I am disheartened at the almost comical deletion of an historic event that took place on this date in 1944. I was informed by the commercialized press that their top story was that the Ninja Turtles overtook the X-Men movie in box office sales yet they delete this as their headline. Over 9,000 men lost their lives on this day and we ignore it? I have always felt war a senseless loss of life but the lives given should not be forgotten or thrown aside as just something that happens. For those too young to remember or did not catch the importance here is a reminder of those lives that were lost. If you ever met or were fortunate enough to talk to one of those that served and fought on that beach you would understand and appreciate these greatest of our generations in America. They deserve better from us.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Unfortunately we humans have short memories. The men that fought in that war are either dead or very few left to remind us. My grandfather spoke about it many times so I do have some reverence.

2. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 4 months ago in reply to this

Bravo.  Thanks.  I will never forget.

3. Credence2 profile image87
      Credence2posted 4 months ago in reply to this

Who can forget? Pearl Harbor's 75th is coming this next December 7th. There are many great films on this D-Day. I did like 'Saving Private Ryan", John Wayne was not coming around the corner to save the day in this one.

As a WWII aficionado, I note that those that participated have to be fast dying out, born no later than 1927/28, the survivors have to be approaching 90. Visiting Pearl Harbor on the 50th anniversary of the attack, December 7, 1991 to glean a little history from the men that faced the bombs, I met several and we shuttled around Honolulu, tavern to tavern (mai-tai after mai-tai) with each of them telling me where they were on that fateful Sunday morning.

I believe that there are no surviving participants from WWI and I think that may be true for the Spanish Civil War (1936) as well. We have to cherish and revere the survivors of the last 'good war', while we still have them.

Thanks for the reminders...

rhamsonposted 4 months ago in reply to this

I live next to a Pearl Harbor Survivor who recently passed. He was a genuine hero and would only talk of it if asked. He wanted no praise nor any special favor but he did express his hatred for war rather quickly. He said you don't really have an appreciation for what those who lost their lives gave up until you grow old and have grandchildren. There is the tragedy only the experienced can know.

I lived in Hawaii for several years and was sort of the unofficial tour guide to out of state friends when they came. I must have gone to the Arizona Memorial a dozen times because of it and always took pause for the silence and reverence I felt as I looked at the names and looked down upon the deck of the sunken ship. I hate war.

4. colorfulone profile image86
      colorfuloneposted 4 months ago in reply to this

My Dad was in WWII and talked about D-Day and made sure I knew what he knew. He was always teaching about something and made history interesting to me as a child, and for the rest of my life. 

Remembering D-Day has been a tradition in American, one of many that units us as a nation. 

Thank you for this post!

rhamsonposted 4 months ago in reply to this

You are welcome and the veterans do appreciate it as well. smile