jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Is it Unpatriotic to Not Vote

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 months ago

If you are unhappy with any candidate, and do not want to vote for the lesser of two evils, would you even vote at all?
    I'm not happy with the  two that will probably be in the Democratic and Republican candidates come November.

1. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 6 months ago in reply to this

While it's your right not to cast a vote, and I would certainly not favor a law requiring voting (like Austria, etc.), it is unpatriotic.  Not everyone has this right around the world. It is sacred. Use it.   You would have no right to complain about our elected officials. That's why you have to vote in the primaries too, although I admit, as a Republican in WA State,  it does seem pointless at times.

2. Credence2 profile image84
      Credence2posted 6 months ago in reply to this

I cannot complain about the outcome if I don't participate. I can't afford to sit this one out.

3. IslandBites profile image86
      IslandBitesposted 6 months ago in reply to this

What about libertarian Gary Johnson?

1. colorfulone profile image87
        colorfuloneposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I'm a Libertarian, but I don't agree with how they are redefining the party, and I disagree with somethings they have done recently.  Even Wikipedia is not defining it correctly at the present.  Johnson, to me, is a plant.

Stacie Lposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I watched an interview with him a few weeks ago
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXyfV5YONo

Too say the least, Stacy. I think you are being kind.

Stacie Lposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Yeah,he's on youtube and some interviews were quite entertaining...roll

There's lots of rumors about Johnson, but I will wait and see for myself.  I'm disappointed so far.

4. tsmog profile image87
      tsmogposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Voting is many things. It is a privilege backed up by rights. But, as a privilege it is optional just like a drivers license. Remember your values are legitimate! I would frown more on someone who does not participate on the ballot at all - representatives, senators, and initiatives. To not vote on any is submitting to crowd wisdom being greater than your own. But, in this case you do have the option as shared casting a vote that does count against the Democratic and Republican nominees by voting a third party. Its strength with your values may be greater as a nay rather than as a yea.

2. ahorseback profile image47
    ahorsebackposted 6 months ago

On the average about  60 %  at the high # of eligible voters vote anyway , in a presidential election .  For once in how many elections  there isn't a likeable candidate left . But there are nominees , hold your nose and go with it !

Interesting point , liberals have trashed Trump , but he still  has a far higher trust % than Hillary !

1. Castlepaloma profile image24
      Castlepalomaposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I Vote for no evil.

Imprison the feberal Government for highest treason and Americans save yourselves.

Because these Government fairytale end up genocides and robbery, and slavery.

Just to put kindly.

3. colorfulone profile image87
    colorfuloneposted 6 months ago

I don not think it is unpatriotic not to vote. This election is serious. Who would you trust most to pick the next Supreme Court Justices, Killary or Trump?  That's what this race boils down to. 
    http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13056100.jpg

1. ahorseback profile image47
      ahorsebackposted 6 months ago in reply to this

That sounds like the perfect reason to vote for trump !

4. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 6 months ago

I don't think it is unpatriotic, but I do think it is throwing away a chance to choose how you want the future to look.  I know people say that the two parties are so much alike that it doesn't matter who one votes for anymore.  I disagree.  One example: several states with Republican governors rejected the Medicare expansion, and millions of people don't have health care coverage because of it.  That is huge.  So, whichever way your vote would have gone, you can't say it doesn't make a difference.

working