jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Niche Sites Look Awesome But . . .

1. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 3 months ago

The new designs for the niche sites look fantastic. Much, much better than the sterile layout when they were originally launched. However, in my opinion that "Write for Us" button at the top has got to go. It detracts from an otherwise amazing site and looks amateur.

Do we not want to put our best foot forward and at least create the appearance of a professional site featuring capable writers? The button makes it look like the site is desperate to get content from just about anyone. This makes readers less likely to trust the information.

Anyone willing and able to produce content for these sites will find their way to where they need to go through the links at the bottom of the page.

1. Solaras profile image91
      Solarasposted 3 months ago in reply to this

2. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 3 months ago in reply to this

I agree, I was thinking the same thing. To me, it makes the site not look like an authority/niche site.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 3 months ago

I agree. If there has to be a "write for us" link, it should be contained within the footer in my opinion.

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 3 months ago

We do want to try a few different messages so that readers that come through the homepage of a network site know that they can participate and that the site is part of HubPages.

There is a fair bit of design work to do. Much of it is in progress. Thanks for the feedback and stay tuned.

4. 82
    corinnposted 3 months ago

When I returned to HubPages this year, one of my first articles was immediately taken to the "Wander Wisdom" site, which I understood to be one of HubPages "sister" sites, but I was surprised to see "Write for us," on that page, as already had possession of my article.  I feel that if the sister sites can take articles as they please, then we already write for them.  Therefore, perhaps, if an author is already currently writing for HubPages, "Write for us," should not appear on the sister pages for the authors (only non-authors should see them).  If I were new to the site, I would appreciate knowing the ease of being able to be an author for the site though, so overall, I do not have a huge issue with the "Write for us," but I do understand the points made above, in the other comments.

1. julieann26 profile image81
      julieann26posted 3 months ago in reply to this

All of the niche sites are owned by HubPages - they are not "sister" sites owned by somebody else.

When you write for a website that is not owned by you, your articles are owned by that website, so they do have the right to move your article to another website on their network.

1. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 3 months ago in reply to this

HubPages does not own our articles. As writers we retain full copyright and can remove our work from HubPages or its sister sites at any time.

2. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Also: The "Write for Us" button is not for Hubbers. HubPages already knows you write for them. smile The point is it should NOT be shown to non-Hubbers. It just looks bad.

It's like going to an NBA game and seeing: Los Angeles Lakers - Play for Us!

5. lobobrandon profile image83
    lobobrandonposted 3 months ago

Yup I pointed this out on Pethelpful right when it was first launched. But as Paul says let's wait and see

6. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 3 months ago

I wish the new sites home pages would look like this altered image:

I agree with the o.p. and everyone else. Let us remove the cheap invitation "Write for Us", as if we were indiscriminately begging for content. It lowers our reputation.

Besides, the invitation is incorrect anyway. Jo public is asked to write for a particular niche site, but then they have to join HubPages, in their eyes, a totally different site, with a slim hope of ever being published on the site they responded to. So that is misleading.

We've said it before and say it again: Please remove "Write for Us" so prominently displayed

Newbies can click on "learn More" or the footer if they are really interested in writing  for us.

1. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Did you see the redesigns? Check out Spinditty and PetHelpful. They look great.

I liked the minimalist thing well enough, but I do like the new look better. Without the button. smile

1. Solaras profile image91
        Solarasposted 3 months ago in reply to this

PetHelpful looks a little jumbly for my taste.  It's like a crowded Pinterest page.  Somewhere in between the minimalist and this difficult-to-navigate page would suit me better.

2. NateB11 profile image93
        NateB11posted 3 months ago in reply to this

This is the first time I've looked at the redesigns and I like them a lot. I agree, the only problem is that Write for Us thing.

7. 82
    corinnposted 3 months ago

How do you know what the Niche sites are called?

1. Sue Adams profile image93
      Sue Adamsposted 3 months ago in reply to this

You can find all the new sites here:

8. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 3 months ago

Yes, I like the new design except for the dreaded "write for us" button, which makes us look like beginners. It is also misleading as they are invited to write for HubPages and not for the site they sign up to.

9. WordCrafter09 profile image85
    WordCrafter09posted 3 months ago

I don't have a problem with the "Write For Us" thing.  HP has always said the idea is to be inclusive, so now that there are some standards to meet it pretty much means "inclusive as long as the article is of a certain level quality".  Writing-minded people generally know (whether online or in print pubs) to go looking for submission guidelines.  There are many people who either aren't generally "writing minded" or don't think what they have to write about is anything anyone could view as "worth reading".  So, to me, since writing is "the main idea" of contributors here it makes sense (even "important sense") to have those invitations to write where they are (or at least not buried somewhere in tiny print. 

Besides, since original and non-duplicate content is the rule here I think the "Write For Us" thing is all the more relevant.