jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

The Lost Art of The Debate?

1. ptosis profile image78
    ptosisposted 2 months ago

I'm dismayed at the lack of reasonable discourse on HP 'answers' so I've decided to go with the forums in the hopes that I can get something here that I'm not getting on the 'answer' format.

I like writing, which is why I'm here. I want the truth Scully. Nobody has a monopoly on it, that's why we are all here, isn't it?  That why we write to each other to have a discussion!

Well aware that being a keyboard warrior is a bit like road rage, acting way more aggressive than normally in a face to face situation but the situation on HP is at the level of 5-year-olds at times!

A Good Argument:
    1. Shows what position a person holds
    2. Allows others to present their point of view
    3. Helps arguers reach and understand new views and reasons for those views
    4. Does not stomp on people

So you want to win every argument?  Stop trying. If you’re thinking about “winning” you’re already headed down the wrong path.

2. 74
    Setank Setunkposted 2 months ago

The problems we have with constructive debate began with mass production of the radio. This is the first mass media tool, and it introduced the surprisingly comfortable pass time of being told what to think and how to feel: No need to read. It brought us 'Nationalism' and we know what dark paths this took man on. Fast forward to the present and .............., well I think you have the picture.
    To many people pick up their views and opinions through mass media like they are in a drive through. There is no content, no background, no real understanding, just fanatical reverence to an opinion or side. If you do not take the time to read reliable source material, read not watch, then you are bound to live life, on the internet anyway, as an obtuse troll.

1. colorfulone profile image88
      colorfuloneposted 2 months ago in reply to this

A compendium of "reliable source material".  Veritas!

The deliberate dumbing down of America through the education system has failed us, many are illiterate.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/Mo … 1_2010.pdf

Accedamia, and the educational system in American needs serious reform. Common core has to go!  We need better choices to send our children to, schools that actually educate students.

BTW, Bill Clinton is a Rockefeller.  And, Hillary Clinton did a lot of damage fulfilling her husband's education agenda since the 1990's.   

Pussified!  Mind control drugs!  Propaganda! Media!  FREE Stuff!

1. ptosis profile image78
        ptosisposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Holy Crap. I never knew that because ..... I'm public educated!. My good friend went to private school from first to college and he is so much smarter than me.

https://archive.org/stream/DeliberateDu … t_djvu.txt

Found the text link of the image in your answer for anybody who cares to read it.

1. colorfulone profile image88

"Holy Crap", is right!  I really appreciate it that you shared the link to the full text of the  "Deliberate Dumbing Down Of America", I hadn't seen that, got it bookmarked, and posted it on social media sites.

2. colorfulone profile image88

According to a study conducted by the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy:

32 million adults in the U.S. can't read.
        That's 14 percent of the population.

21 percent of adults in the U.S. read below a 5th grade level.
        19 percent of high school graduates can't read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 … 80355.html

The dumbing down of America.