jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)

Is President Obama a Muslim? Was He Born in the United States?

1. Sychophantastic profile image83
    Sychophantasticposted 3 months ago

Apparently a lot of Republicans think so. Here are the results of an NBC News poll:

A recent NBC News Survey Monkey poll found that a whopping 72 percent of Republicans have doubts about Obama's citizenship and 41 percent are emphatic that he was foreign born. Meanwhile, 31 percent are unsure if he is an American, leaving 27 percent who acknowledge that their country's president was born in the U.S.

Do you think this poll paints an accurate picture of Republican beliefs?

1. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 3 months ago in reply to this

Are we still beating a dead horse? Even Republicans are not that dumb....

Sychophantasticposted 3 months ago in reply to this

You would think so, except the poll suggests otherwise. While they may not be raising it as an issue, the poll suggests they still believe it. It's basically a conspiracy theory, like many, that many Republicans believe to be true.

2. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 3 months ago in reply to this

My good-natured father (a deeply committed Republican) spent the final years of his life erupting into fury whenever the subject of Obama came up.

He was firmly convinced that Obama is not a U.S. citizen. He had all the proof he needed by watching Fox News all day (literally). His friends and neighbors in his retirement condo building all thought the same.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Yes, although it has been proven ad infinitum that President Obama was born in Hawaii & is a Christian, there are Republicans who against confirmed/substantiated conclusions, vehemently contend that President Obama wasn't born in America & he is a Muslim.   

This hyperbole is getting very old..........This nonsensical conjecture has been continuing since Obama was elected to office in 2008.  Time to put this to rest.

2. Alternative Prime profile image85
    Alternative Primeposted 3 months ago

lol ~ Well, APPARENTLY He's MORE of an AMERICAN than Melania Trump, or perhaps even Donald ~ smile

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 months ago

Are we still on this? Welcome to 2008.

While I think the media has largely moved on from this issue, Republicans clearly have not. I think that if you think this is pure conspiracy, it's incumbent upon you to continue to raise the issue to out Republicans who still believe this nonsense because it shows how likely they are to believe other nonsense.

1. PrettyPanther profile image88
        PrettyPantherposted 3 months ago in reply to this

There are posters here who believe it. I guess they don't have the courage to post here on this thread. But one in particular likes to talk to herself on her own threads and ignore any efforts to question her "facts."

1. GA Anderson profile image86
          GA Andersonposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I have heard it said that tolerance is a virtue... We should all strive to live a virtuous life.

ps. A good strong properly sized hat can help.

GA

I get your point, but these people vote and inflict similarly fact-challenged legislators and presidential candidates upon us. Should we sit back and "tolerate" that?

And I get your point too. It is not one I disagree with. But... would you criticize an ostrich because it has feathers?

Each time I reach for the keyboard to dispatch a blazing reply I am stopped by the understanding that I would be challenging a belief, not a factual assertion, (even though it can appear to be so). I will challenge facts I disagree with all day long, but I am hesitant to wear the necessary robes to challenge a belief.

I hope you don't view this too harshly, it is not meant to be so, I am just clutching at any straw available to participate in these forums. As I am not a Trump or Hillary supporter, the pickings for good discussions have been kinda slim lately.

GA

No, I don't view this harshly at all and I have had the same doubts about whether I should be so hard on some people.  At some point, you feel like you're bullying a half-wit.  But, and it's a big "but," I keep coming back to the point that these people who believe that truth seeking involves copying and pasting long passages from fringe "news" sources are damaging our country.  They, and the politicians and rich donors who tolerate them in order to keep them in their voting pool, have created the Donald Trump candidacy.  Without these low-information voters, and the politicians who courted them, Trump would not have risen to level of presidential candidate.  We can continue to "tolerate" them, but at what risk?  Who suffers in the end?  Shouldn't we hold everyone to at least a minimum standard? 

I believe the Republican party finds itself at a critical point in its survival.  If conservatives want to continue to have a voice in the running of this country, they need to disavow the bigots, the liars, the misogynists, and the religious nut jobs.  And I mean truly disavow.

Just so you know, I long for a healthy, rational conservative voice to keep the liberals in check.  We need good people on both sides to keep the proper balance in government, people who will work with the other side, not just stonewall and disrupt.

So, while I am at times conflicted about my need to correct the ridiculously uneducated posters on these forums, overall I feel we must not let this dangerously stupid segment of the population go unchecked.  By the way, I have been known to correct crazy liberal rantings, too, as in when a certain someone said congress is guilty of treason for not passing a budget.  Of course, since I am liberal, I am prone to finding more craziness from the right than the left.

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling, but maybe I've said something useful.

Thanks everyone for this discussion. Some of the forums have been extremely demoralizing, but not this one. It restores my faith in the community.

Hold on to some of that thankfulness, there is still time for us to work on you.

For instance; I just watched the movie Battleship today, and I couldn't help but notice that those alien's black lizard eyes looked vaguely familiar. ;-)

GA

2. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Unfrotunately, yes. Both Trump and Cruz have brought it up repeatedly this year.

working