jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

America.......Land of the Entitled, Victim, Blamer, & Whiner

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7694511.jpg
    How has America metamorphosized from a country of doing for self, pulling oneself up by the bootstraps, & a profound work ethic t o a country where socioeconomic entitlements are normative, people rather be victims than to take responsibility & be accountable in their lives, people find it easier to blame society for their socioeconomic malaise than to assess their negative life choices, & constantly whine about the socioeconomic state of affairs?

1. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I can understand why so many feel victimized. I think we are simply refusing to see the angst of others so we can't look further out to identify the problem.  What did Tolstoy write? 'Happy families are all alike. Each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.'

We are all victims of the system we have allowed to flourish. Expectations of entitlement are a natural byproduct.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 months ago

Dear gmwillliams.
          I find it very interesting that it has NOT come to this: People suing their parents for bringing them into the world without enabling them to become smart enough, capable enough and talented enough to SURVIVE in today's world. And I am talking about becoming independent in today's world. Many of today's youth are staying home and not flying out of the nest.

Do you suppose blaming the PARENTS will be next???
    This is probably where the blame should really be placed if ANYONE is to blame.

(PS I 'm sure you agree. :-))

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 3 months ago in reply to this

People are blaming whoever they can blame whether it's parents, society, socioeconomic class, etc.   It all comes to negative choices.  If one's parents made negative choices, assess the situation & create his/her own positive choices.   There is such a thing as assessing one's parents especially when it comes to negative choices.  Many successful people have done such & discarded their parents' negative choices to create positive ones for themselves.

It is SO MUCH EASIER to blame outside forces than to assess & take responsibility for oneself.  One doesn't have to become his/her parents.  Also, if one reaches the age of adulthood, one should have intelligence & sense enough to chart one's own success, not blame the parents for not preparing them properly.  Yes, parents are the adults who should have given their children the prerequisite education, economic, & life skills to successfully navigate life but there are some parents who are woefully &/or knowingly inept in that field.   When one becomes an adult, it is no longer appropriate to blame the parents for the parents acted according to their particular purview & consciousness level.  As an adult, one has to assess & CREATE ONE'S OWN LIFE....... To continuously blame the parents is a sign of schizoid avoidance behavior bordering on the toxic, even psychotic.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 months ago in reply to this

The first six years of life create the setting for the rest of one's life. In this first six years, whatever is absorbed into the psyche is indelible. The mind and psyche are actually CREATED during this time. By fifteen the damage (or benefit) has been done by the parents. If people understood this they would not conceive children leaving them to chance as far as upbringing and education. They would have a whole system of eduction in place before the fact. They would be able to guide their children toward strength of character and solid academic abilities / English skills and all mathematics including accounting/bookkeeping and all related computer programs/skills (History can come later when interest develops, as far as I am concerned.) Of course, the arts are also important, but academics would be the priority. However, this type of focus cannot be forced and this where a new direction in education comes in. Adults need to embrace this new direction which is based on awakening a child's interest in learning rather than forcing it through obedience. Yes, I wrote a hub on this.

2. ahorseback profile image48
        ahorsebackposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Excellent observation !    Personal accountability and nothing more is required in life .

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image86

it is actually pretty impossible for parents to know precisely what skills will be needed twenty years into the future. Thankfully, the MAJORITY of children love their parents no matter what.

1. wilderness profile image97
        wildernessposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Ability to learn.  The ability to reason and learn will never go out of style.

~ what contributes to the ability to learn and reason?
          if schools and parents PREVENT or DESTROY this ability, is there a possibility of retrieving it as an adult???
          IS IT INDESTRUCTIBLE?

1. wilderness profile image97
            wildernessposted 3 months ago in reply to this

It is not, for it is not a genetic predisposition.  Rather, it is a learned ability and must be carefully nurtured.

+1

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image86

Maybe the American Public school system is to blame for the shutting down of the ctizenry's will. What do kids do the whole time they are in school? Think about it. Then we wonder why they don't know how to operate in the real world once they're out of high school! After having been tyrannized all their days in school??? Slavery is shutting down the will: Students have been ordered, scolded and cajoled into getting good grades. AND FOR WHAT?

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image86

On the other hand, I am now blaming parents and schools.
    When in all reality the blame is with each and every individual. We all have a duty to ourselves to succeed against all odds and not sit around crying like that baby.
    Thanks, gmwilliams.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image86

PS Evidence of what you say is everywhere, if you ask me ...

working