jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

If an Ambulance is on it's way to save someone and it runs over

1. threekeys profile image82
    threekeysposted 2 months ago

somebody along the way, does the Ambulance stop to help them?

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 2 months ago in reply to this

They can't leave the scene of the accident (hit and run) -- so a different ambulance would be sent to the original call. The precedence of the original call is for "coming across" other cases, not causing them.

2. ian 12am profile image89
    ian 12amposted 2 months ago

Most ambulances have limited space and that can make it difficult to pick up a second patient along the Way.  But from a moral point of view I think it would be prudent to stop and pick up that person and take them to hospital

threekeysposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I never though of that. Yes the ambulance is limited with space within the vehicle.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 2 months ago

Our city's legal requirement is that a separate EMT unit must be dispatched for the new patient in order to ensure the safety and quick treatment of the first patient and for the safety of the first EMT vehicle and crew, nearby drivers/passengers in traffic, and bystanders/police/firefighters, at the second scene.

But morally, many of our EMT people want to be able to pick up the second patient as well. They can't risk their own patient and risk having an accident while helping the second patient, etc.

This applies only to my city and I don't know about other places.

threekeysposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for shining a light on such a quandary of a situation. They do a great job in not easy or simple circumstances.

working