jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (20 posts)

When Celebrities Speak out Politically --- I lose all respect !

1. ahorseback profile image46
    ahorsebackposted 2 months ago

My message  to celebrities who use the podium and the  position of their popularity to try to sway public votes and opinions  ---------Just shut up!

How do you  poll about celebrity opinions?

1. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 2 months ago in reply to this

Everybody has the right to sway public opinion and votes.  Thats the idea. It is just the fascist rightwinger who is not interested in persuasion, but would rather take your vote away with dirty tricks.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 months ago in reply to this

For once we agree.  Those evil right wingers aren't interested in being "swayed" by political rhetoric or emotional arguments "persuading" them, preferring facts with which to make up their own mind.  We'll leave the swaying to liberals that aren't much interested in facts but only feel good rhetoric. big_smile

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
          PrettyPantherposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Ronald Reagan
          Arnold Schwartzenegger
          Fred Thompson
          Sonny Bono
          Fred Grandy

All celebrities elected to office. All Republicans. It seems that Republicans are persuaded enough by celebrities that they elect them! The only celebrity-turned-Democratic-politician I'm aware of is Al Franken.

wink

ahorsebackposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Funny , how conservative celebrities serving in government is more positive  !  While liberal celebs  just whine and threaten to leave America !

Nice spin away from your original premise. Those professional spinners are rubbing off on you.

When liberal ideology rules the ethics and accuracy and integrity  of the normal media ;    I will only listen to my own judgment of it , that seems  in vast shortage  to the average liberal .

Keep drinking that cool -aid Pretty Panther .

You don't respect celebrities who express political opinions but you'll vote for one for president. Makes perfect sense! roll

2. jonnycomelately profile image85
                  jonnycomelatelyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

When conservative anti-ideology rules the ethics and accuracy and integrity  of the normal media ;    I will only listen to my own judgment of it , that seems  in vast shortage (not sure I agree with this) to the average conservative short-sightedness.

Thanks for helping me with the prose.

big_smile

2. Credence2 profile image86
          Credence2posted 2 months ago in reply to this

Your  'facts', somehow conservatives think that they alone are sole possessors of facts and reason, I challenge that. The rightwinger is only a legend in his or her own mind. We will take our feel good rhetoric to irrational Rightwing propaganda, anyday, thank you!!

2. ahorseback profile image46

Please , take a reality pill.

2. PrettyPanther profile image85

I don't see why I should dismiss a celebrity's opinion anymore than I would dismiss yours. There are many highly educated, intelligent celebrities. There's also Ted Nugent.

Oh, by the way, did you and Live to Learn forget that Donald is a celebrity?? ROFLMAO big_smile

http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/trump.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image82
        Live to Learnposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I've never watched anything the guy was in so I guess I never thought about it. But I was thinking along the lines of Ted Nugent, GeorgeClooney, etc. Ones not running for office but attempting to use their celebrity to help elect politicians, etc.

3. GA Anderson profile image86
      GA Andersonposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Would you feel the same about you or I trying to sway public opinion from a soap box to our circle of friends?

Do you feel the same way about Clint Eastwood?

GA

4. jonnycomelately profile image85
      jonnycomelatelyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

How is your opinion superior or more appropriate than that of a celebrity?  You are frequently very vocal in saying what you think.  With your own or that of the celebrity, I look more for the unreasonalble, even unknowledgable bias behind the opinion.

5. colorfulone profile image87
      colorfuloneposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I do listen to Susan Sarandon, because she has an IQ of about 187 +.  Most celebrities range in 85 to 115. I listen to others.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13208698.jpg
      Susan Sarandon's advice on Iraq wasn't any good to Hillary Clinton. She didn't listen, and did what she did. True colors come shining through...
      No, to war and neocons!
      Hillary voted for war with Iraq.

6. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 2 months ago in reply to this

The first amendment of our Constitution guarantees freedom of expression and the right of individuals to speak freely. {1} 

The OP, however, has no respect for some individuals when they exercise their rights under the first amendment. Apparently, he thinks that he has the right to sway public opinion but celebrities should “Just shut up!” The OP statement, it seems, is in favor of censorship; the censorship of others, that is!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitutio … _amendment

And I'm sure you really believe this is a left or right issue , Quilligrapher , I'm not surprised of your shallowness in understanding ,  Unfortunately  you don't get it !   When someone making a cool ten  or twenty million   a year playing a  wounded soldier in an unpopular war and makes their living according to the graces of a Hollywood camera stuck in their face and a T.V. commercial  stuck in ours ,  AND THEN come on a T.V. in a political season  to call out a campaigners character ;    I have- 0 - respect !

I'm not surprised though , that YOU don't see the hypocrisy .Keep up the great work.  The point isn't my belief in the amendment -but the abuse of that , or any amendment .

1. colorfulone profile image87
          colorfuloneposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Uber liberal Michael Moore said, “Pro-Hillary gloaters doing end-zone dance again when still on 50-yd line. You must get it in your head Trump is gonna win and act accordingly!”

I don't like Moore, he repulses me, but the guy is very smart and I have to give him that.  He might have gained some respect if he wouldn't have said that Clinton was honest during the debate, because that is almost totally false.

2. Live to Learn profile image82
    Live to Learnposted 2 months ago

I don't lose respect, but I do roll my eyes. They are paid to entertain us so I'm not sure why they'd think I cared what they thought.

working