jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Working with Muslims

1. CCgirl profile image79
    CCgirlposted 2 months ago

Should we be working with Muslim countries abroad and communities here at home?  We have been repeatedly attacked and lost innocent lives.  Hillary insists that we need to make nice with the very people that have tried to kill us.  Donald wants a more aggressive to controlling the potential of Radical Islamist coming into out country.  Who will be more effective in keeping us safe?

1. lions44 profile image96
      lions44posted 2 months ago in reply to this

We are already working in conjunction with both the Muslim community here and Muslim countries around the globe. Federal Law Enforcement, especially the FBI, have stepped up recruitment of Arabic speakers and Muslim agents.  Abroad, nations like Indonesia, Malaysia and Turkey have been very strong partners. Now I know Turkey presents problems at the moment.  But they still are a partner in stopping ISIS. 
      The refugee issue is separate from that.  We do need aggressive screening.  Two recent attacks were done men who went to Pakistan for wives. Red flag.  But I'm still confident that are doing well, but yes, we can do more.

CCgirlposted 2 months ago in reply to this

This is a touchy subject for many citizen.  There is fear and it seems that every time we relax something else happens to rattle the cage.  Many say that he biggest issues with allowing Syrian refugees into the country, as we have done, is a possible threat to our national security.  I can't say I disagree since our government seems to make so many mistakes with our Security.  Most recently they issued citizenship to immigrants that were to supposed to have been deported.  This raises a huge trust issue.

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I assume you mean countries and communities sympathetic to Muslim extremism as there is a big difference in the term "Muslim countries". Countries such as Jordan and Turkey who are more secular but still Muslim should not be grouped in that general description.

If we cut off dialog we will be left with guess's as to our activities to address the problem of Islamic terrorism. Even if we leave the region , as I hope, we will still need to be involved with helping to stop the violence due to these activities.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image86
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 months ago

Our choices in the middle east have always been limited to the least objectionable of the bad options.  But it if we sever all our relationships we will have nothing but enemies in the region.  These objectionable choices change from time to time, and we better have some idea of what is going on in those countries so we can stay ahead of the dangers to us.

CCgirlposted 2 months ago in reply to this

We cannot sever our ties completely, I agree.  We need to be able to count on our relationships to obtain information so that we are not flying blind. I'm not sure that I would call any part of the Middle East our friends but tour ties to them are most definitely imperative to our national security

working