jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)

Political forum regulars....

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 2 months ago

Let's have a little non partisan fun and virtual socializing. Tell us one or more things about yourself. It can be interesting, boring, funny, serious, weird, mundane, whatever you want. I'll start with:

My black cat is named Worf, after the Star Trek TNG character.

I love bourbon on the rocks.

I'm running for local office in my little hometown.

What say you?

1. IslandBites profile image85
      IslandBitesposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Uhm?

I'm a girl and my husband is a hubber.

I have no sense of direction. lol

PrettyPantherposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Lol, me too!! Don't tell me to go east. I'll end up in the Pacific Ocean.

LOL

2. PrettyPanther profile image85

Do you still live in Puerto Rico?

Yes. We don't have plans to move for now.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I am a New Ager who believe in reincarnation & using the utmost of one's human potential.  I am a staunch feminist.  I identify myself as a Liberal Democrat who am conservative on some issues.   I believe that everyone should be at least middle class & above ( if I had my way everyone would be middle class or above w/comfortable living conditions & opportunities for education).  I believe in family planning & small families.   

I love to read, particularly books on history, sociology, psychology, & metaphysics.  I am a firm believer in astrology.  I am imaginative & believe in thinking outside the box.   I detest excuses & laziness-if one wants to better himself/herself, H/SHE CAN.   I believe that people have to become more proactive regarding their lives & not depend upon the government to do for them. 

I believe that one must constantly question "authority".   Who is "authority" anyway-just those we humans give our power to.  I contend that one must learn to own & realize his/her innate power & not be owned.  I also sketch.  I love Japanese food, especially sushi.   I am also fascinated with the dark side( horror movies, listening to spooky music, & reading Anne Rice).  I am an avid fan of the HISTORY CHANNEL.  Yes, I am a Virgo, sometimes an overly analytical Virgo who can dissect one subject a million times.
      http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13148075.jpg
      P.S. It's great that you are running for office.  This is political proactivity in action.  Hope you win.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
        Kathryn L Hillposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Virgos are after perfection, but imperfection is part of perfection. smile

We have a lot in common and I have a feeling we could have some intensely enjoyable conversations in real life.

I, too, believe in questioning authority and have no respect for blind obedience. I also enjoy astrology (though just for fun) and have read every single Anne Rice book. Can you guess my sign based on my forum posts?

My husband shares youf love of the History channel. smile

1. gmwilliams profile image86

I would say that you are an ARIES.

Scorpio/Libra cusp. What credence refers to as claws is actually stingers! LOL

3. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 2 months ago in reply to this

First of all, Panther, you live in my favorite part ofAmerica, Kudos to you.

I am part of your campaign and you have my vote. Can't wait to see you put those talons of yours to good use.

I subscribe to the Credence corollary, time dilation effect, 'the older one gets, the more quickly time appears to pass'

Retired

Basks in love of History, captivated with the concept of space travel, and the implication of technology for the future. Focuses on the past and the future as the present is so boring.

P.S, I am a diehard Trekkie, but my dog's name is MaunaKea, named after a peak on Hawaii's Big Island.

Nice of you to invite us all down for that virtual cup of Java. I will take mine with lots of cream and sugar, with just a dash of Evan Williams, (to bring in the full bodied flavor, of course). BTW, Do you have any coffee cake?

Credence, I love your ability to carry on long conversations in the forums, seeking to get to the real heart of difficult issues. It is admirable!

I am a coffee snob, probably because I live in the land of a coffee shop on every corner. But, I like both my coffee and my whisky (and bourbon) straight, although I will indulge in the occasional hazelnut latte or White Russian (yum!)

1. Credence2 profile image86
          Credence2posted 2 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, I have to give credit to the intelligence of so many adversaries and allies that make such discussions possible.

The travel from angstrom levels of the quarks of the atomic nucleus to the 100 billion light year limits of the observable universe, I am committed to do whatever I can do to preserve this little blue marble in the cosmos, the collective home of humanity. I strive for the time when the human race will have evolved beyond its infancy... It is just that some attitudes are more conducive toward that end than others.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 months ago

Non partisan
    unbiased, impartial, neutral, objective.
    I am never any of those things so I guess I should pass.

just kidding
    not really

Okay, I will try.

I was wishing I could ride a horse today.
    Or sail in a sailboat at Marina Del Rey.
    (oh no its coming out in rhyme.)
    Anything, anything but staying here
    Doing house work ... Oh Dear! sad

That is great. Marina del Try is beautiful. It is a good wish.. smile

I've been fantasizing about visiting Greece. My husband was there for a year when he was in the military and has some lovely stories. I will be there some day.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
        Kathryn L Hillposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Congrats on running for office. I really think that is something! Takes a lot of bravery, patience and dedication.
        Good Luck!
        I met some wealthy elegant ladies from Greece in Southampton. They said Turkey is also a very beautiful place to visit. Are you drinking your Bourbon on the Rocks right now?

Yes, and also watching my beloved Oregon Ducks get beaten by Washington State. On tv.

Yes, I've heard Turkey is gorgeous. I love to travel so I want to see it all.

Re running for office, this is a first for me. I'm calling it my next big adventure.. smile

1. gmwilliams profile image86

I like adventurous people who live a red life of passion, fearlessness, & involvement.  People who lead red lives really live w/no regrets.  They are risk takers & that is a very good thing.  They are alive instead of merely existing.

I grew up in a family environment where risk taking was shunned and an adventurous spirit was viewed as trivial and time wasting. I had to work to break the chains of my upbringing and am still blossoming in that regard. By the time I am old, I will be completely carefree!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 months ago

I used to imagine I had a coffin out in the back yard. When I got depressed I would imagine myself getting in it. I felt the lid go down. There I was, dead in the box. Then I wanted to get out of it as fast as I could ...
    and live my LIFE!
    Depression GONE!

Visualization is an excellent way to deal with depression. Good for you! I also use it to expand my creativity and achieve my goals.

4. ahorseback profile image46
    ahorsebackposted 2 months ago

To attempt  control of thought is a crime against truth . Without the outdoor world and solitude , I would be insane .   I believe  that's  the basis of most people's problems.

1. colorfulone profile image87
      colorfuloneposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I agree 100%.   
      You have an independent course to follow. 
      The collective mind set is a tragedy.

As frequent posters of our thoughts on this political forum, I think we all can agree with that!

5. ahorseback profile image46
    ahorsebackposted 2 months ago

"Life is only available in the present moment "

working