jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

House Republicans just voted to gut their own oversight

1. rhamson profile image76
    rhamsonposted 2 months ago

This is just getting better and better. The oversight came about after lobbyist Jack Abramoff got convicted of bribery a few years ago. The House now wants to operate in a more secretive way without the obstruction of ethics review by an independent source. You can't make this stuff up.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Interesting that Trump has already made a pretty negative statement about the action from his "own" party.  Not particularly surprising, to be sure, as he has never been buddy-buddy with Republicans and it will be very interesting to see the result of Trump being Trump instead of Trump being another party flak.

Let the games begin!

rhamsonposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Ryan and McConnell have made similar condemning statements. As you say let the games begin.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 2 months ago

LOL  That didn't last long, did it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/us/po … ffice.html

rhamsonposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Yeah. I guess they thought nobody was watching. They have by their own accounts made it known that it is bad legislation. I guess they will come back to this when the time is right and the negative spin on its powers are ripe.

1. Live to Learn profile image81
        Live to Learnposted 2 months ago in reply to this

That was a shameful display and a poor start. Congress just doesn't get the fact that we are watching and our disgust has reached its limit.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 months ago

Well, I must admit, I'm impressed with Trump's role in the reversal of this action.  There may be a ray of hope after all.  We'll have to see what happens next.  The Republicans do seem awfully full of themselves to have started this way.  But the one thing about Congress is that they are often their own worst enemies.

4. colorfulone profile image88
    colorfuloneposted 2 months ago

I learned months ago to hear what Trump has to say first, before anything by the bureaucrats' little circus acts.  I believe Trump means what he says.

working