jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Day 1: Breach of Trumps Washington Hotel Lease

1. Don W profile image83
    Don Wposted 6 months ago

Trump may be in breach of the Lease Agreement for the Trump hotel in Washington.

Trump doesn't own the building (the Old Post Office), which is leased from the government (General Service Administration). The lease states:

"No member or delegate to Congress, or elected official of the Government of the United States or the Government of the District of Columbia, shall be admitted to any share or part of this Lease or to any benefit that may arise therefrom".(1)(2)(3)

The GSA said: "We are seeking additional information that explains and describes any new organizational structure as it applies to the Old Post Office lease. Upon receipt, consistent with our treatment of any contract to which we are a party, we will review this new organizational structure and determine its compliance with all the terms and conditions of the lease".(4)

Currently the head of the GSA, who is appointed by "President" Trump, is the person responsible for negotiating the terms of the lease with "CEO" Trump, or his sons.(5)

(1) https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/305477
    (2) http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ … hite-house
    (3) https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … e7bb0f393a
    (4) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru … 8057fed977
    (5) ibid

1. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Trump should have been made aware of this prior to embarking on a bid for the presidency. So, if it is to proceed I would think it should be permanently restructured so he can never, personally, gain financial benefit from the endeavor.

1. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I looked, but nope, nothing there I can find to disagree with.

2. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 5 months ago in reply to this

He already has his first lawsuit. They didn't waste any time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national … story.html

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 months ago in reply to this

No, he doesn't have his first lawsuit.  Plans to file one is not filing one.

But it's interesting that they have decided that a business deal, payment for value rendered, is a gift.  Wonder how that will sit with a jury?  I know I would not equate the two. 

Sounds like a liberal version of the birthers if you ask me.

1. promisem profile image95
          promisemposted 5 months ago in reply to this

The article says they filed it. How can he own the hotels making money from foreign governments and even the U.S. government while serving as the president of the United States. Don't you think that's a conflict of interest?

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Wow - my bad!  Senility is definitely setting in - the article clearly says it has been filed.  Don't know where I got that it was only being considered.

No.  I find no conflict of interest in a business, even one totally owned by the President, that receives money commensurate with value given.

I think there is a potential for a conflict of interest, though, and that any payments from foreign governments, kings, etc. should be examined to make sure they are normal amounts.  Trump Towers, for instance, isn't suddenly receiving $100,000 per night for a hotel room from King such and such.

But either way, payment earned has exactly zero to do with the constitution.  It is NOT a gift.  If this were actually a real conflict of interest, the law would require a blind trust for all Presidential business dealings, which it does not.

But this ridiculous, frivolous lawsuit presents quite a mental picture.  Just imagine the prosecutor, explaining to the judge and jury:

"Your honor, there have been concerns about my clients standing in filing this suit.  My client has an irrational fear of the President damaging our constitution, perhaps sneaking into the National Archives building with his crayons and coloring on it.  This mental aberration caused my client to spend 30 minutes of his time concocting this farc...er, lawsuit.  He also doodled on a piece of paper and broke a pencil in anger - these are valuable resources that he has spent in watching the President, that cannot be recovered, and he has thus been damaged and has the standing necessary to file suit.

"We have been unable to find any wrongdoing by President Trump (although there are tons of allegations about Donald Trump), but have taken note that a secretary of state owned a certain foundation that received Billions of dollars in gifts from foreign countries and their aristocracy. As such evil is known to have happened, we request that this court now define legal business dealings and reasonable payments for services rendered as "gifts".  This will cause financial harm to President Trump as he could no longer accept such legal incom...er...I mean gifts - a worthy goal.  It also raises the juicy specter of an actual, viable lawsuit in the future if one of his businesses does accept appropriate compen...I mean gift... without his knowledge - a goal even more worthy.  And finally, this suit has the possibility of causing embarrassment to the President of the United States, which will greatly please my client.  We therefore ask that this court recognize this frivo...er, this eminently reasonable lawsuit...

<Side door opens and 6 young men in white coats file in.  One is carrying what appears to be a straight jacket>

Prosecutor:  "Oh Wow!  Oh Wow!  I've heard a few citizens...er, psychologists.  Yes, famous psychologists...say that President Trump is insane, but never expected...!  I fully agree, your honor - the President needs to be lock...!  WAIT!  NOT ME!  THE GUY WITH THE FUNNY HAIR!  PUT IT ON THE GUY WITH THE HAIR!

<Sounds of struggle fade as the door closes behind the 6 men and their charge.  President Trump rises and walks out of the courtroom>

2. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for the update promisem. It will be interesting to see if the GSA does anything beforehand.

working