jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Climate Extremes & Environment

1. colorfulone profile image89
    colorfuloneposted 6 months ago

In the Middle East, the UAE and other Gulf States experienced a bizarre mix of snow blizzards, lightning strikes, fires, sandstorms, rough seas and high winds of up to 90 km an hour.

The UAE was one of a number of Middle Eastern countries to bare the brunt of the freak weather
    Police warned people against going outside, although the rarity of the occasion saw many flock to the snow-covered landscapes.

Social media users tweeted their delight at the weather and snapped their own snowmen.

However, others tweeted that the freak weather had caused them to reevaluate all of their beliefs.

Some users described the weather as "apocalyptic" while others remarked that the "final hour was approaching".

According to:  Apocalyptic Weather Terrifies Arab Countries
    http://www.earthfrenzyradio.com/climate … -countries

Apocalyptic weather or not, I think this could cause many political, religious & social issues in the Middle East, where cold weather and 4" of snow are very bizarre there. 

Prophesy unfolding? ... Some are calling it a phenomenon!

1. Castlepaloma profile image28
      Castlepalomaposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Seen 4," of snow in Mexico city. Seen it snow every month of the year, from different years in Alberta. It is a freak moment in time.

colorfuloneposted 6 months ago in reply to this

That is very common for Alberta to have some snow or rain every month of the year.  I read some reports of snow in Mexico City in 2015 and 2016, that is "a freak moment in time".

Its not unusual for us to see snow as late as June or as soon as October in northern MN. 

This was interesting that happened last night. 
        Giant Fireball Illuminates the Sky over Illinois and Wisconsin
        http://www.earthfrenzyradio.com/fire-in … r-illinois
        http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/763 … ather-Arab

The American Meteor Sociaty has received over 170 reports from IL, WI, MI, IN, OH, IA, NY, Ontario, KY and MN about a fireball event that occurred on Monday, February 6th 2017 around 01:27CST (07:31 UT.).
        http://strangesounds.org/2017/02/astero … earth.html

Interesting things happening in the sky as well.

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 6 months ago

I'm an Albertan born and raised, lived in Vancouver for 8 years and now back in Alberta.  I'll never get used to the weird weather here.  I remember in junior high I wore flipflops to school one day (it was May), while I was in class it snowed and I had to walk home in the snow... in flipflops.

Last week almost all the snow had melted and we were enjoying t-shirts in 10 degree weather. Today we got a metre of snow, I've shovelled three times, and it's -20.

My mom is in Vancouver and said when they got a huge dump of snow over the weekend it randomly started raining with thunder right in the middle of it, then went back to snowing. Weirdness all around.

1. PhoenixV profile image81
      PhoenixVposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Minus 20 celsius or minus 20 in real temperatures?  You ever been to Banff?

1. Aime F profile image83
        Aime Fposted 6 months ago in reply to this

You Americans and your silly Fahrenheit.  -20 Celsius.  Not the coldest it's been this year but quite the turnaround from +10 degrees a few days ago.

And yes, Banff is beautiful!  Haven't been since I moved back though and I'm only a couple of hours away.  I've always wanted to stay at the Fairmont there, apparently you can do a tour of all the places they think are haunted in the hotel.

Sounds like that would make a great Hub. Staying in a haunted hotel and pictures of Banff.  Banff has always been one of the places I always wanted to see. Not sure about the sub zero temperatures though.

I hadn't head of Banff so I did Goggle images and was, wowed!  That would be a great place to enjoy the great outdoors and a nice little community.  The snow covered mountain scenes must be breathtaking to actually see in person.   Thanks for mentioning Banff.

Lot of movies are filmed there or so I heard, because its so scenic.

1. Castlepaloma profile image28
                Castlepalomaposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Banff looks a Christmas year round. At age 17 had a waiters job at Banff Springs Hotel, got a few bear stories to tell.

Asians tourist love it most now a days.

I just looked at Goofle images like Color did. It don't even look real, its so picturesque.

2. Aime F profile image83
              Aime Fposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Jasper is gorgeous too and the Icefields Parkway (which connects Banff and Jasper) is an amazing drive.

2. colorfulone profile image89

I heard it was melting in Alberta this winter when it was snowing in Spain, Italy, and on some topical islands, etc.  I enjoy looking at lovely photos of the country sides of Alberta.   Very pretty, and I bet the air is fresh and clean. 

We just got another 6" of snow, so there is plenty of shoveling and plowing yet to do.  It looks just beautiful covering all the trees.

3. colorfulone profile image89
    colorfuloneposted 6 months ago

According to Skywatch Media the temperatures are suppose to be blistering dry hot in S. Australia for the next five days in very dry conditions.  The biggest danger in such severe temperatures is brush fires.

45 degrees Celsius is equals 113 degrees Fahrenheit.    
    *    http://www.earthfrenzyradio.com/climate … -australia

My thoughts are with everyone, stay hydrated and safe.

working