jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Was it smart or necessary to deal with healthcare first?

1. jackclee lm profile image74
    jackclee lmposted 4 weeks ago

The question after the failed attempt to repeal and replace the ACA healthcare act is why did they took this on first? Why was it necessary to deal with this ahead of other issues like tax reform or the budget...
    For a month, Paul Ryan convinced us that it was how it is done in Congress... that the way sausages are made in Congress with all the intricacies of rules... that they must deal with ACA before the tax reform bill... As it turned out, it was not successful and they are tabling it for now anyway.
    Two points:
    Why did the GOP have a bill ready to go, after all they had 6 years to work on it...?
    Why was the bill done in secret fot the most part and some were not given a chance to voice their concerns...The take it or leave it attitude was the wrong way to go.
    Also, why wasn't some democrats invited to participate and negotiate a compromise?
    That way, they would not need to rely on only GOP votes. Exactly what happened with Democrats in  forming the failed ACA bill in the first place. They have learned nothing from history...

They could have done tax reform first which would have more bipartisan support and would have immediate impact on the economy and jobs and business and trade and commerce...

There is no reason why they can't do more than one thing at a time. After all, there are 435 members of Congress with many committees...they could address each of the main issues in parallel and arrive at some decision down the road where they could vote on each bill one after another...
    Isn't that more reasonable? And how things should work?
    What am I missing?

1. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

You are trying to put a positive spin on this for Trump. If you weren't you'd also be asking:

If Trump is as good at making deals as he and his supporters said he is, how come he couldn't get this through?

And if Trump couldn't deliver the promises he made during his campaign, isn't he the same as every other politician who makes then brakes their promises?

jackclee lmposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I think it was a bad bill and no amount of dealing will make it better. The problem was the bill and I am glad it didn't come up with the votes.

2. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Jack, the smart thing to do would have been to just fix Obamacare and move on.  Correct the marketplace issues, block grant the Medicaid to the States and fix the "Cadillac tax."   Instead, they played right into the hands of the Dems and it became a PR nightmare. 
      Once a benefit is enacted in this country, it's never going away. Like SS and Medicare, it is permanent.  Despite a lot of big talk, most people want it that way.  So why fight it.  Fix the existing problems first. Then over time, you can get a better plan enacted.
      The GOP is terrible at PR.  Ryan can't see that he was being set up as a scapegoat for the President's failure.

1. colorfulone profile image87
        colorfuloneposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

RyanCare failed, just as I expected.  The GOP is terrible, period.
        Now, they drag Trump into their part of the swamp?
        Rinos and Neocons have the same spots!  Disappointing.

2. jackclee lm profile image74

Yes, I see your point. You are probably correct. The right time to stop Obamacare was in 2012 when the Supreme Court has a chance to rule on it. Now, 7 years later after passing, it is too entrenched. It will take time and resources to unravel...

3. promisem profile image94
      promisemposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Why did they pass a bill 60 times under Obama and fail this one time under Trump?

Because they want to undermine Trump, get rid of him asap and put Pence into the Oval Office. Then they will pass a new bill.

I think they were geand standing in all previous times. They knew it would be rejected by the Senate. Now that they control both houses, they don't have that excuse. They need to repeal this law. It is killing our economy and jobs.

2. ahorseback profile image50
    ahorsebackposted 4 weeks ago

I don't understand why the right has become too afraid to fight back -  The original promise   in the whole Obama- Care fight was originally to repeal it , get rid of a failing and extremely expensive  plan that does nothing but subsidizes  a  balloon entitlement package and" break the bank "doing it .  .     Yet  when Trump starting talking about "replacing it " with something better , I thought ,    Great ,Here is the real  Trump , the centrist .

While on the right in congress - ..........Crickets !   I'm starting to think  I should go back to college and  learn how to vote JUST for more entitlement  packages ,   maybe I've got to  learn how to swim with the bottom feeders .

working