The Problem with Trump-LA Times 4 part editorial series

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

This should prove most interesting. I say sorry in advance to Trump supporters, but this is comprehensive and irresistible.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-ed-o … president/

For those that have the problems with Trump that I have, lets list how many we share in common?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Holy Cow Credence2,

At least they, (LATimes), sourced it as from the Editorial Board, properly defining it as an opinion piece.

It is no wonder you are so enthusiastic about it. I can see you now, just the title probably had you excitedly bouncing on the balls of your feet, and clapping your hands as you chorused; "Hercules! ...  Hercules!... Hercules!..."

Come on tell me... by the second paragraph you were almost in a swoon weren't you? Kicked back your chair and fist-pumped a big "Yessss!" after the third one too I bet.

And that second quote they offered to be shared... Saw the face of God and clicked that subscribe button didn't you?

What a negative piece of rubbish. And you have the nerve to criticize Breitbart. Well, I criticize Breitbart too, but I sure would not repeat or copy/paste any of that piece - even in this reply.

And I thought your Salon habit was bad.... Geesh...

GA

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Believe itor not, I read the Breitbart pieces to see what direction the Right is moving into. Everyone was forewarned about the content. The only publications left that can be considered impartial by the Right are Fox, Breitbart and Infowars. According to them anyway, Ninety nine percent of remaining media has a leftist bias, how do you win?

Certainly not with something like your linked LA Times piece.

GA

2. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kudos for knowing the difference between news and opinion in media. Many people do not.

Hi promisem,

But even noted as an opinion piece, look what it has done to my opinion of the LA Times as a credible news source.

Since I don't recall any former look into the LA Times' reporting credibility -biased or non-biased, the vitriol of this one piece has now left me with an unsupported, yet very real, notion that they are a very Liberal publication. Which of course affects my opinion of their credibility.

Do you suppose I am the only relatively non-partisan reader to be similarly affected?

GA

1. profile image0

Having worked at one of the most conservative newspapers in America, I can tell you that a single opinion piece represents the opinion of the person who wrote it and not the news content of the entire paper.

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Will a liberally oriented paper hire a conservative opinion writer?  I don't think so, which means that the paper is oriented the same as the opinion.  Vastly more subtly, we hope, but still oriented that way.

1. profile image0

Newspapers are conservative or liberal on their editorial pages. They fight to avoid bias in the news section. I was part of many of those fights.

During my time at this extremely conservative newspaper, we got calls all the time claiming the paper was liberal despite its undying support of all things Republican and Libertarian.

Some people think that a news story which casts a bad light on a Republican automatically makes the entire newspaper liberal. They don't want the truth. They want what they want to hear, which is why so many people love Fox News and Breitbart.

Well, I seldom see a newspaper anymore so can't truly comment.  My news comes from TV and the web, and I most definitely see a tremendous bias in TV news.  News, not editorial or opinion pieces.

This can vary from the wording used to the stories presented vs the ones "forgotten".  Trump "splits families apart", he doesn't "enforce the law according to his oath of office".  He will waste billions building a wall that won't work and will make America the laughing stock of the world", but again doesn't "protect our borders" as he swore to do.  Long stories about a poor woman being deported as per the law, but nothing on the falling numbers crossing the border illegally.  Perhaps if I read the newspaper I would find it different, but I rather doubt it.

1. profile image0

I agree that TV news in general doesn't have the same objectivity as newspapers. It shows up more often with the shows that have just one person. Newspapers follow much more stringent rules on reporting. In fact, newspaper people look down on TV journalism.

To your other points, I don't believe Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are less biased than Wolf Blitzer or Greta Van Susteren.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

We have different opinions on this one promisem.

The article wasn't under an individual's byline, nor was it a reader's contribution. It was attributed to the Editorial Board. I don't know if that makes a difference, but it sounds like it would. Hence my opinion that the article reflects the perspective of the paper itself.

GA

1. profile image0

I understand your point. An editorial board opinion piece reflects the stance of the editorial page and only that page. It does not and cannot reflect the stance of the news reporters and editors. They follow completely different rules.

2. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

Op-ed it is but the following are certainly undeniable facts:

"Trump has taken dozens of real-life steps that, if they are not reversed, will rip families apart, foul rivers and pollute the air, intensify the calamitous effects of climate change and profoundly weaken the system of American public education for all. ... lack of respect for those fundamental rules and institutions on which our government is based. .. His contempt for the rule of law and the norms of government."
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQomy09fCkbIm4HzuFy1mjlcM-scWVeDMWG6Wsdb3usUnQhJsEq

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is a relief to know that I am not alone in those observations.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually its a proven fact that 57 % of liberals actually think Hilary won , good luck with gaining on reality !    I'm Sure you'll find many who side with this nonsense thread!

1. profile image0

Here is an even bigger number: 98% of all independents, moderates, liberals and members of the CIA, NSA and FBI believe that Hillary would have won except for the propaganda campaign and collusion by Russian intelligence.

ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When a person says "actually" and "proven" before the noun 'fact' it means that person is fcking lying to you-  "Believe me"

People who lie also use convoluted sentence structure, and qualifying language when giving you the details, like “to tell you the truth” or “I can say categorically.” http://hub.me/a69vf

Vincent Coccotti: You know… Sicilians are great liars, the best - in the world, I'm Sicilian, my father was the world's heavy weight champion of Sicilian liars. From growing up with him, I’ve learned the pantomime of liars. There are 17 different things a guy does when he lies - to give himself away. A woman got 20, but guys got 17. But if you know them - like you know your own face, they beat lie detectors all to hell. Now, what we’ve got here is a little game of show and tell - you don't wanna show me nothing but you tell me everything.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7517602_f520.jpg

2. wilderness profile image96

Let's start at the beginning; which actions can be blamed for "ripping families" apart?  We'll worry about ignoring the "rule of law" when that one has been satisfactorily answered.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That would probably be the steps he's taken to strengthen the economy. More disposable income means more people can afford a divorce lawyer. I suppose liberals will be divorcing their more conservative significant others at a greater rate.

That might be it, although divorce does seem more of a personal decision than something that can be blamed on Trump.  Much like living in different countries is.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
            Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If it is bad and it happened some from the left here will find a way to blame Trump. No matter how tenuous the connection.

Beware the imperial use of 'we' in any statement.  You have a mouse in your pocket?
        Willful ignorance and demanding proof of something that you already know is an avoidance tactic because since you argue against facts - it will never be answered 'satisfactorily' in your eyes.

The invincible ignorance fallacy[1] is a deductive fallacy of circularity where the person in question simply pig-headedly refuses to believe the argument, ignoring any evidence given. It is not so much a fallacious tactic in argument as it is a refusal to argue in the proper sense of the word, the method instead being to either make assertions with no consideration of objections or to simply dismiss objections by calling them excuses, conjecture, etc. or saying that they don't prove anything; all without actually demonstrating how the objection fit these terms (see ad lapidem fallacy).

http://www.dhresource.com/200x200s/f2-albu-g5-M01-B0-E5-rBVaI1ilVDiAKHwnAACO7wdW_tg125.jpg/halloween-magical-creepy-adult-pig-head-latex.jpg

From which I can only conclude that you don't have any indication Trump is "ripping families apart", just more gross exaggeration and rhetoric without basis in fact.  I assume the rest of the post is more of the same, just blaming the President for the actions of others.

Not a particularly auspicious beginning for a discussion, is it?

1. ptosis profile image67

Hell no it ain't when you don't even read the entire post.  - ROTFL

In case you've forgotten already, here is the pertinent sentence: "Trump has taken dozens of real-life steps that, if they are not reversed, will rip families apart,...".  See?  I DID read it - did you read your own words?  Perhaps not, as you seem unable to give even a single one of those "dozens of real-life steps".

3. profile image57
    benhamileyimposted 7 years ago

This is really interesting thanks for sharing.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Wake up man , There is probably never been an election that liberals lost that wasn't the fault of some other entity other than their own blindness to reality ,    Kind of like those times  that "the dog ate your homework "   except  the media this time ate the blank pages you forgot to take home from school .

Get over yourself - you simply blew it .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)