jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)

Neil Gorsuch is the First Step to a Lengthy Conservative Supreme Court

1. RJ Schwartz profile image92
    RJ Schwartzposted 3 months ago

With the Republican leadership choosing to follow in the footsteps of former majority leader Harry Reid, and change the Senate rules (known as the nuclear option) its assured that Judge Gorsuch will be confirmed tomorrow and tilt the court to the right.  President Trump has the potential to nominate and get one, two, or even three more conservative justices on the court before his term is up, and unless the Democrats can somehow gain a few Senate seats in 2018, this seems almost a certainty.  There are many people who feel this will serve as a balance for the stacked lower courts, which lean heavily Democrat.  Others see this as righting the ship and brining the nation back to the rule of Constitutional law.  I'd like to get the opinions of the HP audience.

1. promisem profile image96
      promisemposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I believe some of your sources of information are incorrect. Senate filibustering began in1837, long before Harry Reid was even born. What the GOP Senate just did is historic and another step toward a one-party political system.

The number of lower-court judges is based on eight years of a Bush presidency and eight years of an Obama presidency. The number of judges on the bench who were appointed by Democrats merely drew even with Republicans near the end of Obama's term. So it's hard to show how they are stacked in favor of Democrats.

Republicans may cheer today, but they will be horrified if they lose control of Congress (if ever). The shoe will be on the other foot.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol … e/3286337/

1. Live to Learn profile image79
        Live to Learnposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I think his point was that Harry Reid invoked the nuclear option (3 years ago, I think) and the Republicans are simply following suit.

Thanks for the clarification.

2. RJ Schwartz profile image92
          RJ Schwartzposted 3 months ago in reply to this

That's correct

3. colorfulone profile image88
          colorfuloneposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I am sending a virtual hug to Harry Reid, because he isn't done kicking himself yet.

1. ahorseback profile image45
            ahorsebackposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I agree . funny , Term Limits Now !

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 3 months ago

It is sad that we have reached the point where we must resort to something like the nuclear option to get a Judge as qualified as Neil Gorsuch appointed to the Supreme Court.  It is not like he is not qualified to do the job.

I would think that every American would be thrilled that someone with his qualifications would be willing to take the job.  But, party lines continue to rule and this will most likely continue until this great country self destructs because of our Politicians.

I agree. That said, isn't it the voters and donors who force politicians to act that way?

Democrats  Pulled the same thing in the lower federal court nominations !  Wasn't a bad thing then Huh?..................They can suffer now .

2. profile image0
        Old Poolmanposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Not sure how that would be promisem.  Once elected they pretty much do whatever they please.

In that case, we can vote them out.

1. profile image0

Agreed but that rarely happens due to straight party line voting.  Until we can reach the point where we all vote for whom we believe to be the best candidate regardless of party affiliation it will never change.

3. profile image59
    Susan Pascaleposted 3 months ago

I watched the entire interviewing process for Neil Gorsuch, 11 hours...honorable, intelligent man....There was nothing to do with
    donors and voters, the few politicians (3) senate members holding up the process...looked for any thing they could make a problem on.  There wasn't any........Politicians chose to act that wway

1. RJ Schwartz profile image92
      RJ Schwartzposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Unfortunately too many people have forgotten that we're a single nation and we need to act in ways that benefit everyone, not just one Party or the other

How do we once again divorce the recently  political correctivelly, I know that's not a word,   fixed ideologies  to a position of compromising once again  , OR  were  they ever compromising  ?    That may be the question  we all need to answer in order to "drain the swamp ",  the opposite polarities of two party systematic destructiveness is at an all time high -----thus feeding the congressional  hyper apathy in America  right now.

2. promisem profile image96

Is the Democrat opposition to Neil Gorsuch any different than the Republican opposition to Merrick Garland?

1. profile image0

No, and it has nothing to do with the qualifications or abilities of either one.  This is all about Politics and the hell with what is good for our country.

It would not surprise me to see Merrick Garland nominated again if there is another vacancy to fill.

1. colorfulone profile image88
          colorfuloneposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I hear there will be openings coming on the DC Circuit.  We can expect the same amount of drama playing out there when the time comes.

ADDED:   Judge Neil Gorsuch received enough "Yeas"

4. colorfulone profile image88
    colorfuloneposted 3 months ago

Its a miracle --
    ā€œPeace! Be still!ā€
    On Capitol Hill.

working